Why do the big OMS wings have 2 inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this a form of backup? Or do the big wings need 2?

Redundant bladder wings have two inflators, because these wings contain two complete, separate bladders. Think of a bike tire with two inner tubes.

The capacity of the wing is limited by the outer shell, as either bladder can fully inflate the outer shell.

The idea is if one bladder was to fail the redundant bladder offers a backup means of buoyancy.

In practice this has a number of disadvantages. I prefer to use a single inflator wing and a drysuit for redundant buoyancy.

Tobin

Redundant bladder wings have two inflators, because these wings contain two complete, separate bladders. Think of a bike tire with two inner tubes.

The capacity of the wing is limited by the outer shell, as either bladder can fully inflate the outer shell.

The idea is if one bladder was to fail the redundant bladder offers a backup means of buoyancy.

In practice this has a number of disadvantages. I prefer to use a single inflator wing and a drysuit for redundant buoyancy.

Tobin

Thanks. what are the problem with this double inflator system?

It would seem it is too complex to adjust evenly? But I've never tried such a system.

Thanks. what are the problem with this double inflator system?

It would seem it is too complex to adjust evenly? But I've never tried such a system.

There is much to be learned by using the search function.

Redundant bladder wings:

Do they really offer a reliable backup? What ever "failed" the first bladder probably also failed the second.

Inflators can leak or "auto inflate" With two inflators, two bladders and two OPV's which one do you dump if you find you are getting "light" due to a leaking inflator.

Added complexity. With a conventional wing + drysuit you have redundancy and the added benefit of a better exposure system.

Big (High lift) wings imply long exposures. One only needs huge tanks and thick buoyant exposure suits if they are going deep, or long or both.

Long Exposures simply are not the well served by a wetsuit. Wetsuits compress and loose thermal protection, not what you need for a long exposure that very likely involves deco.

IMO redundant bladder wings are a great way to make your drysuit more expensive.
The "new to doubles" diver who can't afford or can't yet justify ~$3K for a drysuit decides to keep their wetsuit and buy a $600-700 redundant bladder wing.

"With my magic double bladder 100 lbs lift wing I don't need to stinking drysuit!"

If this same diver actually keeps diving doubles, and actually reaches the point where they are doing longer exposures they will quickly find they do actually need a drysuit. Now they are in the "hole" by $300-400 more than they would have been if they had avoided the redundant bladder wing and purchased a good quality conventional wing and drysuit.

Tobin

There is much to be learned by using the search function.

Redundant bladder wings:

Do they really offer a reliable backup? What ever "failed" the first bladder probably also failed the second.

Inflators can leak or "auto inflate" With two inflators, two bladders and two OPV's which one do you dump if you find you are getting "light" due to a leaking inflator.

Added complexity. With a conventional wing + drysuit you have redundancy and the added benefit of a better exposure system.

Big (High lift) wings imply long exposures. One only needs huge tanks and thick buoyant exposure suits if they are going deep, or long or both.

Long Exposures simply are not the well served by a wetsuit. Wetsuits compress and loose thermal protection, not what you need for a long exposure that very likely involves deco.

IMO redundant bladder wings are a great way to make your drysuit more expensive.
The "new to doubles" diver who can't afford or can't yet justify ~$3K for a drysuit decides to keep their wetsuit and buy a $600-700 redundant bladder wing.

"With my magic double bladder 100 lbs lift wing I don't need to stinking drysuit!"

If this same diver actually keeps diving doubles, and actually reaches the point where they are doing longer exposures they will quickly find they do actually need a drysuit. Now they are in the "hole" by $300-400 more than they would have been if they had avoided the redundant bladder wing and purchased a good quality conventional wing and drysuit.

Tobin

I do not use a double bladder.
That said.... I think you miss the point.
with double bladder, you only use one inflator (one bladder), if you get auto inflation or the hose opens up etc. then you use the other one. Its there only as backup, sort of like that backup reg on your doubles.

There are divers who dive in such warm waters that even with depth and long exposures they still don't need a dry suit. It is only when diving w/o dry suit I can see the possable need for double bladder.

I do not use a double bladder.
That said.... I think you miss the point.
with double bladder, you only use one inflator (one bladder), if you get auto inflation or the hose opens up etc. then you use the other one. Its there only as backup, sort of like that backup reg on your doubles.

That does no address the issue of a leaking inflator, if both inflator are connected and one leaks into the wing how does the diver decide which one to vent / disconnect?

If the diver chooses to dive with only one inflator connected, and finds the need to use the disconnected inflator they have to be able to find the LP hose and connect it. This is an added task load during a possible emergency.

With a conventional wing + drysuit there is no additional action required by the diver, and no uncertainty regarding which "bubble" need management.

There are divers who dive in such warm waters that even with depth and long exposures they still don't need a dry suit. It is only when diving w/o dry suit I can see the possable need for double bladder.

Lift bag.

Tobin

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom