Anyone using CrossFit out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I noticed via a search that a few people have mentioned CrossFit here on SB, but I actually didn't hear about it until a few weeks ago on a Mountain Bike forum.

The WOD on the CrossFit site is too aggressive for me to start with, so I've just started doing one of the approved scaled WOD's from the BrandX site posted daily.

Anyone else using the regimen?

Yes, I have been doing CrossFit for over a year now and I love it.

Don't worry, a lot of the "prescribed" WOD are not do-able for most people, including me. The nice thing about them is, ALL WOD can be scaled down to your personal abilities or modified with proper movement progressions.

If you are really interested in the program, I would recommend to look for a CrossFit affiliate near you and check it out. Most of the affiliates have a program for people starting off. Usually all the movements and proper form will be explained and practiced in great detail. This is especially important when the lifts start to get "heavy" and to prevent getting into bad habits that might get you hurt. They will show you progressions to work up to movements you are not able to do at this point, for example ring dips, pull-ups, muscle-ups, etc. Also, the WOD will be a little easier in the beginning to get used to. They can also provide you with information about nutrition if you wish.

Of cause, you can get the WOD from the internet and do them at home, but personally, I find it very beneficial to have a coach watching/correcting your movements and not to forget to chear you on. :eyebrow:

Keep in mind, that the WOD are INTENSE and pushing limits, so take it easy in the beginning and maybe talk to your doc if there are medical concerns.

I like to work-out with people pushing each other and enjoy the CrossFit community a lot. A big plus for me was that the WOD are short, intense and fit in the bussiest schedule. I have done a lot of different programs, but found that CrossFit is the real deal for me!

A usefull tool is keeping a log about your WOD like weights used and times. It makes it a lot easier and fun for you to see your progress!

Enjoy

I went to a local CrossFit gym and did their required Foundation's Course (3 one hour sessions with private trainer), and am starting my first workout with the regular class tonight. Penny is finishing her third Foundation's session tonight, and then will be joining the regular class later this week.

So far we like it.

I go to a CrossFit affiliate here in Austin TX, and love it. The competition and camaraderie of the extremely challenging workouts they put us through is great, as are the coaches. That being said, the workouts are scalable to any and all fitness levels - we have people from 18 to 60+ in a class, doing the same workouts - the difference is in the amount of weight used and so on.

Last edited:
The affiliate we were going to just opened in January. There were mostly populated with 20-somethings that all hung out with each other outside of the gym, making us 40-somethings a bit conspicuous. They were nice enough and certainly helpful/knowledgeable, especially on the powerlifting/Olympiclifting, but we've accumulated a fair amount of equipment at home and started doing our WOD's here. The group's sole focus seemed to be to live and breath CrossFit, but ours is more GPP to better prepare us for Cave/Tech diving, Road/mountain biking, hiking, and rappelling.

We still hope to get to the gym from time to time, but being over 30 miles away and having an erratic schedule limits my inclination to do so.

On a positive note, another dive buddy has joined us here in our home gym to get a taste of a CrossFit workout, so that's been rather fun.

I go to a CrossFit affiliate here in Austin TX, and love it.

I was just scanning through your affiliate site. It looks like you guys have a pretty good thing going there!

Aside from getting better at the Met-Cons, one of the coolest things has been lifting heavy weight. I'd never attempted deadlifting anything above 180lbs at home before 'cause I wasn't sure of my form and didn't want to injure myself.

My first attempt at the gym 6 weeks ago was 315lbs, and just last week I did 365 here at home.... major adrenaline rush to feel the body adapting to the workouts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom