Rolex Sea-Dweller!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncsuScUbA

Registered
Reaction score
I stumbled across this and thought it was cool. Go to www.Rolex.com and view their current watch collection. Under the Oyster group you will find a watch called the Sea Dweller. WOW! Its water proof to a depth of 1,220 meters/ 4,000 feet! Also read about the valve it incorporates to withstand rigorous deco.

It has an internal valve to allow Helium (inert gas) to escape during dry deco. Seems the molecule is so small you can't keep it out so you have to make provisions for it to be expelled so the watch doesn't over pressurize / explode.

I owned a Rolex submariner for 10 years.

I never knew what time it was!

The only upside was, I sold it for more that I bought it.

Regards

I looked at a Sea Dweller today. It's only slightly more expensive than the regular submariner (cert. chrono version). I was surprised that it can be had for around $4000, I was expecting 5-6K. This is the black face stainless band version. I used to have a GMT master w/ gold band and it always got scratched (band). Right now I have an Air King stainless that holds up pretty well, but I want a Submariner/Sea Dweller.

It's pricey, but it's also the ultimate watch to own, in my estimation.

For diving, I have an old Doxa (orange face), and a HyperAqualand.

All Rolex Oysters are good down to 200M so if you want one for diving, any will do (though only a few have rotating bezel). I love my Explorer II, but would never dive with it. I just bought an Invicta dive watch which cost less than $100, is modeled after a Rolex Sub (could be viewed as tacky if the imitation bothers you), is automatic with sea through back. If you appreciate mechanical watches, this will scratch that itch while not causing a stroke if you lose it or it gets bashed. I'm really very happy with it.

cheers,
Michael

Is the date hard to read? Does the crystal have one of the little magnifiers on it? If not see if you can get one. It looks a lot like the Submariner (Black face, Silver band, with the date) except for the valve.
Looks pretty cool.

-Crispy

Crispy once bubbled...
Is the date hard to read? Does the crystal have one of the little magnifiers on it? If not see if you can get one. It looks a lot like the Submariner (Black face, Silver band, with the date) except for the valve.
Looks pretty cool.

-Crispy

Nope, sea dweller, as far as I know, is the only date-just watch from Rolex to not have the cyclops magnifier. Personally, I don't like the magnifier. It's glued onto the crystal, and it looks like an afterthought rather than a conscious design choice.

Back
Top Bottom