Bali/Nusa/Gili - should we go February vs. May? Much difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StanleyCup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have 2 weeks vacation approx 15-28 February and 2 more weeks approx 1-15 May. We planned to spend one of these periods in Bali/Nusa/Gili, the other period we will spend in southern Thailand. Some diving (2 of every 3 days probably) and hanging out at the beach.

I am inclined to do:

15-28 February - Bali/Nusa/Gili
1-15 May - Thailand

The reason is that accommodation prices and availability are far better in southern Thailand (PP/Lanta/etc.) in May than they are in February. Feb is high season in southern Thailand. May in Thailand is just after high season, weather still OK and accommodation is uncrowded and prices are slashed.

But my concern with doing this is weather in Bali in February. If the visibility of most sites is much poorer in February than in May, then it really doesn't make sense to be in Bali in February, we'll just bite the bullet and pay more to be in Thailand in February, then come to Bali in May.

- What can we expect as far as visibility in Bali in February vs. May?
- What about the difference in accomodation availability and price?
- Anything else we should consider?

We have to make a choice very, very soon. Thanks in advance.

Follow-up ... Am I correct in that the huge amount of rain in Bali will make poor visibility for diving in February, and it would not be worth it to come in February? Help!

I found this blurb on this site:
http://www.thescubasite.com/Scuba-Diving-in-Indonesia/scuba-diving-in-bali

Best Time to Dive in Bali
There is not really a restriction on when you can dive in Bali due to colder weather conditions, as it is fairly warm all year round. You will probably want to plan your visit in the dry season (June to October). You can still visit during the rainy season without worrying about having your dives cancelled; however, the constant deluge of rain can cause the normally clear waters to be murkier. The monsoon months you will want to avoid are typically December to February.

February is definately the wettest time of year in Bali, this year has been particularly wet. The viz will be lower in February than in May.
This year the rain began earlier than normal in Tulamben on the north-east coast(where we live), and has been pretty constant.

February is definately the wettest time of year in Bali, this year has been particularly wet. The viz will be lower in February than in May.
This year the rain began earlier than normal in Tulamben on the north-east coast(where we live), and has been pretty constant.

Hi Reefwalker, I'll be in Amed/ Tulamben in a couple of weeks time. What is the viz like at the moment ? Is macro the preferred option ?

I second the report of "lots of rain". A lot of that area all the way to Fiji is getting serious rain and flooding.

We were in Bali last week and the schedule was torrential rain very early morning, decent morning and even sun until mid to late afternoon when rain was likely again, usually torrential. It could stop for a bit and then be relatively clear in the evening but come back in in the morning. Like this every day. On Wednesday they had what was described as an unusual event, 10 hours straight rain and created a quite a bit of flooding as it just collects on the ground. That said, we'd just returned from a couple weeks in Komodo where weather was generally very good, sometimes picture perfect. Usually beautiful weather to just hazy for most of the day and then rain came in in the evening.

If you have the choice, go to Bali in May.

Ok, thanks for the great advice. We'll come to Bali in May, and do Southern Thailand next month. As the tourism numbers are down in Thailand, maybe it won't be too crowded and "high season-ey". Perhaps we'll have Koh Lanta to ourselves. :)

Hi Reefwalker, I'll be in Amed/ Tulamben in a couple of weeks time. What is the viz like at the moment ? Is macro the preferred option ?

I'm not in Tulamben currently, but my (reliable) local friends there tell me viz is terrible. But you never know, in two weeks time it may improve..... but don't count on it.
Definately macro only from January to March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom