Computers versus Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For new divers which is better? I have under 30 dives and have only YMCA OW cert. I am constantly pressured to drop my tables and use a computer. In my OW class the instructor really pushed the tables and said we all need to carefully plan and execute are dives using the tables.

My brother a AOW PADI diver also with under 30 dives is constantly pushing a computer. His argument is always millions of people use them without a problem. Max your BT. He doesn't even bring his tables with him or know them al all. I was at my LDS recently and they went off the same way. Why use tables a computer is so much better. You don't even need tables, a computer will Max your BT.

Well, IMO a computer may be a useful tool but beginners like my self and my family should use what we were trained to use. The tables the YMCA tables were set us to be safer and I respect my instructor enough to live by what I was taught.

Is it just me or does it seem irresponsible to you to tell a new diver don't worry about the tables, or any diver without knowing there level of training.

TIA

I feel all new divers should use the tables.. Once you are very comfortable with your use of the tables then I say sure get you a computer but not to replace the tables but as an addition to the tables.

Personally know your brother and he handles his tables just fine... They really aren't that difficult to master (they are just lookup and addition).

I also know that he has many more than 30 dives.

I'm less experienced than you (haven't even done certification dives yet:) ), but it seems to me that ther are quite a few advantages to using a computer, but with table skills/knowledge as backup. I do plan on getting a computer for the reasons you keep hearing, but I can't imagine not doing a backup plan with the tables (and my watch). At the very least, it will keep table skills fresh and at best, seems a prudent safety measure.

Michael

zboss, somehow I doubt that. maybe the tbales he can do but in his head i doubt. Seeing as he doesnt even bring them with him on any dives. The mastering of the tables would be impossible.

oh boy this is really bad.

well i have a computer and i use when im diving but also clipped off to a dring on my BC are my air, ean 32 36 tables along with a wheel so that i can calc my pressure groupd before i even getout of the water. i mean heck im at the the saftey stop for 3-5 need something to do besides look at my buddy with a dumb grin .

but personally that any new dives must know the tables front and back before even thinking about a computer, and that any instructor say to use a computer over tables for beginners need to be stripped of there instructor status and shot and buried in a fl cave.

let the controversy begin

any instructor say to use a computer over tables for beginners need to be stripped of there instructor status and shot and buried in a fl cave

Thats why I feel I should frequent a new LDS.

IMHO, the # of dives is irrelevant if the only experience that comes from the dive is starring at a computer and coming up when it says its time. The '# of dives really was'nt my point.

ReeferBen once bubbled...

Is it just me or does it seem irresponsible to you to tell a new diver don't worry about the tables, or any diver without knowing their level of training.

totally

Back
Top Bottom