TPII and Travel wing - First Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
As some of you know, after quite a lot of deliberation I recently bought a Transpac II and travel wing, prior to a two week trip to Dahab. Was I happy ? Hell yes, apart from the odd comment from other divers describing it as a tech BC (with a 14kg wing?) it was perfect, my trim under water and ability to get into the position I wanted and stay there was perfect, i'd kind of forgot the thing was there....although even not using the top camband I still had the 1st stage pushing my head forward..

And the main revelation that I hadn't heard was out of the water, I could forget the tank was there, it was so comfortable. Scrambling across rocks for a shore entry has never been so easy, the weight distribution, comfort and lack of clutter was amazing.

I had an unusual insight due to my rescue course, on how the set-up was for me and others during a rescue scenario, and here we identified a couple of issues. The quick relase clips on the shoulders were not very quick and the fact that the buckle faces the same way as the weight belt means that on a couple of times my BC was loosened instead of the weight belt, which was quickly realised but it did make the removal of my jacket a little difficult while rescue breathing. I may reverse the buckle and I reckon the buckles will loosen in time.

In terms of maintenance it was a little fidgety washing the wing and harness, but no big deal.

And couple of the people I dived with admitted they were quite jealous and were quite interested in checking one out themselves.

In short, I love it and would reccomend it to anyone like me (whaever that is), especially when I know I can upgrade or switch wings for different diving situations.

Anyway, hope this helps someone and thanks again for eeryone who heped me make what I truly believe was the right decision for me.

Conor

Awesome BC, great trim, biggest plus: totally functional/customizeable and comfortable. Doesn't surprise me that other people would want one. :)

Whoops,

I have one :)

Partly as a result of reading posts on this board I got a TPII and travel wing in Jan. of this year. It is my first "wing" type BC. At first my weight belt had most of the lead concentrated toward the front. With the weight in the front and lift in the back it was actually hard to roll left or right in the water. I didn't like that.

Then I made sure to distribute my weight all around the belt. That's when it got good. Everything was very neutral and balanced. I'm going to get the weight pockets which will make the setup even nicer.

A nice thing about the TP is that it doesn't weigh too much. I wouldn't want to tote a BP these days with what they charge for overweight luggage. Perhaps the AL plate with harness isn't too heavy but steel would be.

On my travels (recreational diving in tropics) I have never seen a BP wing setup on a dive boat. So, I wanted something with the advantages of "tech" but not too out there. The TPII fits that bill.

Something interesting though in Tahiti. Although I didn't see any BP wings (or other TP IIs) I did see quite a few back inflate style BCs - I didn't notice the brands. I think the French may use them more than we do in the US.

On the head banging issue just make sure to attach the top strap as absolutely high as possible - almost slipping over the top of the tank. My lower cam band (switched to a ScubaPro band - very solid) does the work. The top band just keeps the tank from moving around.

Glad you like it Conner.

I love mine and am really glad I made the choice.

I had the headbanging problem (See earlier posts) but solved it

1. Like DolphinDiver says "make sure to attach the top strap as absolutely high as possible"

2. Mount your 1st stage at 45 degrees so that the low pressure outputs splay either side of your head

3. Use a crutch strap and do it up before you do the waist strap up - you can get it much tighter like that

I did 2 weeks in Grenada with mine and it was fantastic- off to Boar Bora next wek - I can't wait !

Ian

The size ML is REALY not the right size for a 5'7" woman. The guy who sold me my TP told me that the ML fit me. Bulldoody!!!

After flopping around in it for 70 or so dives I finally broke down and replaced it with a size small. Now I have a streamlined, easy to pack BC that fits perfectly. It was an expensive lesson in trusting my own instincts (and the manufacturer's website) over the "well mean advice" of an shop owner.

Is anyone interested in a used TP2, size ML?

And, oh yeah, I saw a BP/Wings set up on a recreational dive boat in the tropics. Tavi was wearing one in the Keys last weekend.

Have fun in Bora Bora

I just got back two weeks ago. It was great. Sharks, sharks everywhere. Black tips, greys, and the big lemons.

I hope the conditions are better for you at Manta Point. It was very stirred up due to the strong swell outside the reef. We still saw 5 mantas even with 20-30 foot vis. (That means they come really close.)

Actually, when I was at Laguna Beach Resort in Utila, one couple there had BP&W. I see them now and again in the tropics. A few people I dive with are cave divers and they are in the habit of using a BP & W all the time.

I have raised a lot of Cain with the BP & W crowd, but have decided to go to a live & let live approach. It is not so important what other divers use or do not use. What is important is to be satisfied and safe with what you use. I love my TPII & travel wing, they love their BP's & Pioneers. There is room on the dive boat for all of us.

By the way, I don't use the crotch strap & I set my regulator (MK20) straight ahead. I do put the top camband as far up as it will go. To bang my head on the regulator I have to arch my back and bend my head back at the same time.

I use a 3# weight on the top camband for trim and a pair of 3# weights in Halcyon trim pouches on either side of the waist belt. That is with a beat up 3 mil full suit. With the water warming up, I am hoping to get down to 6# with a shortie.

Zeagle makes some trim pockets that could also be used as a low capacity integrated weight system.

IanH, you will post a trip report from Bora Bora, won't you?

I'm glad the TPII has that option. Without the strap my rig would ride up some. With it I've got everything set just where I want it.

Kind of wish though there was another option to crotch straps :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom