Halcyon Wings Trick Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcat

Reaction score
You know the two metal bars at the back of Halcyon Pioneer wings? What purpose do they serve?

Knowing that the DIR folks at Halcyon don't add extra equipment for nothing, i'm sure it does something. :p but it just seems to me that the wing will work just fine without them. reason being:

1. wing is fastened to backplate at 2 points. don't see how it can shift either horizontal or vertical

2. wing has two tank straps. don't see how it can flap around either since the tank would serve as the other hard backing to hold it in place

3. wings from some manufacturers that use a soft pack (if i don't recall wrongly) don't have these metal struts and work just fine

Oh yes! if i can remove the steel rods, the wing can then be folded in half making it superpackable!

Those "metal bars" are actually delrin (super dooper plasticky stuff) rods, and they are designed to be a channel for the single tank to rest between, positioning it in the center ( or "centre" - pick your spelling) of the wing while you tighten the cam straps.

Are you talking about the built in STA. Its purpose is to keep the tank from shifting on the backbone of the plate if no external STA is used. If the rods werent there the tank would shift around offcenter or get kanted(sp?) which is the whole purpose of the two rods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom