Safety and Divemaster costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking into doing divemaster in Eygpt around Dahab and Sharm however, the Gaza conflict turned me away.....

Well, the cease fire has started. Can I go now in relative safety? I understand the area has been a target for the last three years and its no Utila however, I also understand the diving is suppose to be great!

Another question, divemaster courses. What should I expect to spend for everything for 2 months of diving and courses? I am a rescue diver with 50 plus dives(only 12 in a log book...)

Would fly out as soon as this Friday.

Thoughts?

You can certainty go in safety. There has been little trouble in Sharm for several years. If there was a problem in the area then all the world leaders wouldn't choose it as a venue for their peace discussions. The trouble in Gaza has not affected this area of Egypt at all.

As far as costs go most dive centers have an arrangement with an hotel whereby DM trainees get preferential rates. You would need to ask each center what their arrangements are. You could also look into renting an apartment for a couple of months. A single apartment could cost you about US$250 per month and your living costs could be about US$3-400 per month.

Your diving would normally be covered by the DM course cost and if you do an internship then you would get plenty of diving in over a 1/2 month period. Check on some websites for the cost of the course. Recommend Camel, Red Sea College, Ocean College, Emperor Divers.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for Dahab. The living costs are solid, but I am seeing the dive prices a bit high. I would like to do a month to two DM for around $750 and I'm not seeing that with anyone but Ocean College.

Thanks again

Sorry, can't recommend anyone in Dahab.

If you look at Camel, the course cost is higher but you can get a room at the hotel for 17euro per night which is not bad. You would be right in the centre of things there as well.

Also take into account the quality of the training when choosing who to do your DM with and the support you will get from the dive school. Don't just count the cost.

Sorry can't be more help.

Allright... Firstly: as daddy said, there is nothing about the conflict in Gaza to worry about in Egypt. We watch the news but that's about as close as it gets. If you feel that the Sinai side is too close you can always take the ferry and come over to the even nicer side. Hurghada, Safaga, Ee Queseer, MArsa Alam and Hamata offer loads of excellent diving and the costs are much lower. There are plenty of dive operators that would give you an top quallity course and you might be able to find work after finnishing if youn like.

If you want to read more about those places you can have a look at my web site WELCOME TO AZIAB where you find lots of Red Sea info. Hope it'll be to help. If you have any questions you can email me on anders@aziab.com but my reply might take a while since I'm going to the dive show in Dusseldorf today.

Hope you find your way to HUrghada and I'll buy you a welcome-beer ;o)

.....a.....

Alright, so apparently there are options.

Will I be ok just showing up (in any of the above) and expecting to find a shop willing to bring me on for a DM internship of 6 weeks plus?

Is 550 Euro plus materials and cert a safe number to aim for?

Alright, so apparently there are options.

Will I be ok just showing up (in any of the above) and expecting to find a shop willing to bring me on for a DM internship of 6 weeks plus?

Is 550 Euro plus materials and cert a safe number to aim for?

Yes you can just show up and book a DM course. Do check out the centre before you sign up and choose a reputable centre.

Yes, 550euros is a good price. Some centers will offer a free 28 day internship after your DM course and others charge for it; you need to shop around.

If you are coming to Sharm then check out Camel Dive, Red Sea College, Emperor Divers and Ocean College. I would stick with them if english is your first language. If you are german then look at Werner Lau and Sinai Divers.

Maybe look at getting your manuals etc before you come out. Also, depending on how fit you are I would recommend some pool sessions to get your times down for the stamina section of the course. Makes you much more confident.

Hope this is useful.

I did my Dm in Dahab last winter and I thought it was the perfect place for it. All of the shops there will take a walk in DM. I would recommend finding a place where there is only one or two trainees as you will be able to get much more experience. 6 weeks is a good amount of time for it. If you finished early often you could continue fun diving with the shop or rent two dollar tanks from the filling station and find a buddy as its easy to get to most of the shore dives. Have a blast over there, I did mine in the winter and negotiated the price of the course as this is a part of Egyptian culture you will soon find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom