Extended visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neon Tepee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Intro placed in appropriate place.

planning a monster Philippines trip starting early March and will now start to annoy all of you with questions / tips / and hopefully meet some of you guys along the way.

Have been to your shores (and under them) several times now, Aniloa and PG so far.

Am now in a very very lucky position to have four or five months to waste (waiting to emmigrate to Oz), so thought about the ultimate Philippines trip.

Have been investigating online for a while and am thinking of splitting it up into three sections. PG (Once bitten..), followed by somewhere in Cebu, followed by somewhere in Palawan. After recomendations for dive outfits and cheap (the cheaper the longer my trip) accomodation in all.

Very open ended question i know, but initial comments on locations would be appreciated, What have i missed that i shouldn't. Also would like to speak to any UK expats that work in industry or having done similar for advice.

Also any advice on working if possible, I love to dive, but always end up taking over anyway, once an instructor always an instructor....

Any friendly Expats for advice on Visa and possible ways to work.

I know it a big ask. Am doing my own research and do have some PI mates that hopefully are going to assist to, but thought would open it to the floor on what seems like a nice and friendly Forum.

Failing that, say hello and I'll try and arrange to be in your area to say Hi (if you want).

All emphasis on CHEAP accomidation, I'm not fussy.

Happy Dives.

Matt.

hi matt!

yeah, it's a big request but it's well structured so you should get a set of very good inputs - don't worry, we don't charge for helping hahahaha

PG - yeah, you can't go wrong w/ PG... and since you're an instructor you might even find some sort of part-time work as a guide, safety diver or even instructor... lots of good ops in PG and since there are a lot of foreigners staying long-term a lot of options for cheap accommodations

Cebu - make it the take-off point for a huge visayas adventure! bohol, sogod, dumaguete, panay, malapascua and moalboal are ALL w/in fast ferry and/or land trip reach and i can safely say you can spend a good 2-3 months in the visayas and still feel like you've not done enough...

North Mindanao - Cagayan de Oro can be your gateway for camiguin and duka bay... there's some diving in Butuan too i hear...

South Mindanao - don't let BBC or CNN scare you - Davao and Gensan offer excellent diving and are relatively inexpensive because it's not a tourist trap... personally i've thoroughly enjoyed my gensan dives and feel bad about my trip there getting canceled this year

Palawan/ Coron - the last frontier - i love coron, and the diving there is unreal... not the best viz nor the most creatures but WWII wrecks just call out to me (i'm a history nerd)

Hope this helps...

Jag

Jag / All

Thanks Jag. Certainly does help.

I knew it was a big ask, future questions will be more specific I'm sure. Still in the early stages of planning, info like this is invaluable.

Some new destinations to investigate there, i do like the sound of South Mindanao, and i see we share a love of wrecks. I also enjoy a good wreck here in the UK and i also enjoy spending the following few days reading about what happened and the history behind it.

The 30 mile stretch coast near where i currently live has some 700 wrecks (English Channel WWII wreck heaven) and i'm sure your Viz is ALWAYS better than the uk.

And gald to read the comments on PG and possible work, thats what i was after, a comment to say that working is a possibility.

Any non Philippinos out there who have done a similar trip, in terms timescales really, need to get some practical info on Visas if possible.

Thanks again.

More questions after a few days research.

Thanks again Jag. you should charge !!! I'm good for a beer or two.

Mat.

Hi all,

Intro placed in appropriate place.

planning a monster Philippines trip starting early March and will now start to annoy all of you with questions / tips / and hopefully meet some of you guys along the way.

Have been to your shores (and under them) several times now, Aniloa and PG so far.

Am now in a very very lucky position to have four or five months to waste (waiting to emmigrate to Oz), so thought about the ultimate Philippines trip.

Have been investigating online for a while and am thinking of splitting it up into three sections. PG (Once bitten..), followed by somewhere in Cebu, followed by somewhere in Palawan. After recomendations for dive outfits and cheap (the cheaper the longer my trip) accomodation in all.

Very open ended question i know, but initial comments on locations would be appreciated, What have i missed that i shouldn't. Also would like to speak to any UK expats that work in industry or having done similar for advice.

Also any advice on working if possible, I love to dive, but always end up taking over anyway, once an instructor always an instructor....

Any friendly Expats for advice on Visa and possible ways to work.

I know it a big ask. Am doing my own research and do have some PI mates that hopefully are going to assist to, but thought would open it to the floor on what seems like a nice and friendly Forum.

Failing that, say hello and I'll try and arrange to be in your area to say Hi (if you want).

All emphasis on CHEAP accomidation, I'm not fussy.

Happy Dives.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

From Cebu, you are an easy trip away from Bohol which is still on my list for next month - but supposed to offers lots of good stuff, including access to Balicasag Island and Cabilao. You are also close to Dumaguete which gets you to Apo Island, and quickly over to Siquijor. SO depending on how much time you have I would consider a week or so in Bohol, one in Dauin, and one on Siquijor. In Dauin for best "value for money" accommodation you want to talk to Mike Feeney at Adventure Dive Shop he is just constructing a place in Dauin, and has the shop in the city if you want to stay in the city rather than on the beach. Or let me know if you fancy finding something for a bit longer as there are huts and houses for rent around.

Workwise Dauin doesn't offer a lot of opportunities normally, I don't know about the other areas - PG is different and especially in March you might find yourself staying there permanently!

Visa - just stay on your tourist visa and get it renewed when necessary, for anything less than a year or two it is not even worth considering the other options. Most Cities have an immigration office where it can be done easily - expect to wait, wait and wait, so get there early in the morning, don't go on Monday, and remember they will be closed on any possible occasion they can think of - so plan to get pissed off at least once!

Look me up if you are in Dauin/Dumaguete it's always fun to have a beer with someone with the same name!

Cheers,

Matt.

HI Neon,

or you are looking for unspoiled spots...
amazing islands, friendly surrounding and nice accommodations...
try Antique's sites, just getting on in dive sports with Panay Explorers and Phaidon Beach Resort...

Immigration - Visa is an easy thing there, probably just a half day at Boracay or Kalibo....

Antiquediver....

Thanks guys,

Some good pointers. Dauin, looks a good spot for a while, and the offer of a beer with another Matt is one you are probably not allowed to turn down by law.

I checked your web-site however and my bank manager has ordered me to observe a 3 mile exclusion zone from you. Tech is next on my list. Damn you, the extended philippines trip might just turn into an extended TDI course !!!

Seriously, thanks, I'll give you a shout webiste makes me feel like i know so little. The lure of some of the stuff you get up is great, but i have to stick to my budget. Oh and big thanks for the Visa advice, that has been a point that i have stalled on, and if i didn't know what was best for this, it was making the rest of the investigating a bit tricky. Thanks Print this post out and well call it an IOU for a SM or two. Just promise me you won't give me a rebreather and take all my money off me :)

Thanks also Antique diver, for your info, this (yours ??) place has already come up during my investigations. In order to avoid a big advert, perhaps we could discuss on private message a long stay price (1 month+) ??? Don't want to dive every day (well i do, but in order to pay for the whole trip, will not be able to) and do not need to be pampered like most, who are enjoying their two or three weeks away from a year of work.

I want to travel but also enjoy getting to know an area, hence the initial idea of three base trip. Hope to pick three areas and stay for 2 months or so in each, get to know everyone stuff like that.

Thanks all again, will hopefully meet you all soon.

Mat.

Hi,

Have just seen the recent success in the "Instructor Couple looking for work" thread.

Congratulation Rachel and Russ.

As it seemed to work....

Anyone got a job for me ? UK Instructor, with engineering background. UK teaching experience, looking to do anything in the Philippine dive industry, any area, any job considered.

Worth a try I guess....

Heres hoping.

Mat.

Hi,

Have just seen the recent success in the "Instructor Couple looking for work" thread.

Congratulation Rachel and Russ.

As it seemed to work....

Anyone got a job for me ? UK Instructor, with engineering background. UK teaching experience, looking to do anything in the Philippine dive industry, any area, any job considered.

Worth a try I guess....

Heres hoping.

Mat.

We depending on how awful your accent is you could teach some English as a second language classes I suppose.:D No, seriously I've talked to some Brits that were doing that in the Cebu area. Quite a number of Korean students travel to the Phils for English language classes.

The Mike Feeney / Adventure Dive Shop is a great recommendation...I dove with them to Apo Island and had a great day. Very well run operation with good staff and Mike is a super friendly guy from California! They were full of smiles and great basic advice for the Dumaguete area.

I hope to do a bunch of Dauin diving over time and would like to stay at Mikes resort there...when its done (it may be done by now)...at some point in the near future.

I am sure with your skills that a shop will snap you up. You might want to do a mix of the teaching English and diving (even though the diving is probably a lot more fun!!!)

Have fun!

Thanks for all advice. Have finally got everything sorted.

On my way to see you all !!

Flying out on 10th March, helping a good friend of mine for a couple of weeks in PG and Anilao. Then see what happens.....

First base camp will be PG so anyone in the area around the end of March please get in touch and arrange a meet up.

Hopefully be able to stay for 8 months to a year, can't wait.

Look forward to hopefully meeting some SB members.

See you soon.

Back
Top Bottom