Focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EastEndDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Is Ikelite ever going to manufacture a dedicated Focus light ? I use DS-125 strobes and the modeling light sometimes is not strong enough to get a focus lock.The reason I ask is that Ikelite has had so many good lights I would think a Focus light would be something that they could master easily and cost effectively.

Thanks

Just to add my 2 cents. Using D200, 105 macro, single 125 strobe with diffuser I find that I need to carry a focus light and end up using it in low light conditions (night diving, low vis) most of the time to add to the model light for autofocus to kick in. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have something to get around this. Perhaps a trigger to brighten the model light for a few seconds.

When using the diffuser on my DS125, I also need to use a focus light at times.

Mine is a Princeton Tec Impact XL. It is held on the strobe bracket with a spare snorkel strap (the double hole / figure 8 kind). Works well and does not show up in the photos so I just leave it on all of the time.

Bronk do you know what the temperature of the Princeton light is? I would like to use something that is close to daylight ( about 5600K).

Thanks

There is a mold mark in the center of the diffuser and if you take a sharp razor knife and cut that circle out, it will allow the modeling lite to be bright enough to get your focus lock.

Not sure of color temp of the impact XL, but is on the cold side. It is overpowered by my DS125 as well as when I used a Sony point and shoot and a Sunpak flash.
One advantage to the focus light is if you have it centered in your field of view, you can get shots that would otherwise be physically impossible (just plant the spot on the subject). No viewfinder necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom