Move over Cousteau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walt Stearns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
UnderwaterJournal Issue #10 is here! And inside youÃÍl find a report on the Undersea Voyager Project. All we can say is move over Cousteau, Undersea Voyager project's five-year mission is now underway. Scott Cassell shares his vision to educate us on just how well is the health of our precious oceans. Check out page 3.

Other great reads inside include:

Aquatica Housing for Canon's 40D and 50D
Doug Ebersole gives us his hands-on review of Aquatica's 40D/50D housing. "Aquatica is very good at what they do" Learn more

Caribbean Explorer II's Triple Antillean Treat
A wealth of underwater adventure awaits divers in the waters of Saba, Statia & St. Kitts.
Find out what the Caribbean Explorer II has to offer.

SPOT - GLOBAL EPIRB ALTERNATIVE?
EPIRB for marine vessels are not cheap. Most range from $500 for a basic unit to well over $1,000 for the better models. But if you are a small boat owner, there may be a far more inexpensive alternative for a price equal to a cell phone.

Download your FREE issue and read on. And keep those words of encouragement and interesting questions coming!

Walt Stearns

Last edited:
Scott's mission sounds like it will be an interesting read. However, "Move over, Cousteau?" I don't think so. Even Scott and team can't displace Cousteau as a pioneer. Written tongue-in-cheek (or something like that).

It's not to imply replacing the legendary Jacque Cousteau and the adventures of the crew of the Calypso. But it does say we should also look to new pioneers and explorers who are out there ground truthing what is happening to our oceans.

How true Walt. By the way, I tried the link you provided and ended up getting nowhere. Are the links on that web page working properly?

It's not to imply replacing the legendary Jacque Cousteau and the adventures of the crew of the Calypso. But it does say we should also look to new pioneers and explorers who are out there ground truthing what is happening to our oceans.

I can agree with this sentiment. Look at it from the space perspective. No one will ever replace Armstrong, or the moment he stepped down onto the surface of the moon for the first time. However, the first person to stand on Mars will be every bit as much a hero and a pioneer.
No one can replace Cousteau. His work will always be important, his legacy will be remembered and revered, at least by those of us who remember his work and had our lives changed forever for it. But I do think it is high time that another, a modern day Cousteau step up, and ignite the fire in this current generation of kids.

Back
Top Bottom