Mosquito No Gauge Mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuffy

Reaction score
I've never used a dive computer and was considering purchasing a Suunto Mosquito for my first one. However, I've seen several posts on this board stating the Mosquito does not really have a gauge mode. It has a free diving mode which allows it to act like a gauge for up to 5 minutes.

What exactly does this mean? What happens after 5 minutes? Could someone explain this in layman's terms?

Thanks for your help.

I was under the impression that if the Mosquito were in free dive mode for longer than 5 min... Guage mode would still work, but the computer would lock out of the AIR or EAN modes for 48 hours. All dives after would also have to be done in guage mode because the computer has no idea of you last dive profile.. Does anyone know?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does "gauge mode" mean?

snuffy once bubbled...
Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does "gauge mode" mean?

Gauge mode is where the computer acts as a bottom timer/depth gauge. You lose the NDL times and related.

So after 5 minutes the Mosquito doesn't show bottom time or depth anymore? That doesn't seem to make much sense. The demo on the Suunto web site shows the Mosquito displays this information through a complete dive.

snuffy once bubbled...
So after 5 minutes the Mosquito doesn't show bottom time or depth anymore? That doesn't seem to make much sense. The demo on the Suunto web site shows the Mosquito displays this information through a complete dive.

From what I understood in the users manual. If I remember correctly it was worded something like if you were to forget to switch the mode from free back to AIR/EAN before you entered the water on SCUBA. It would continue to track the dive as a free dive for 5 minutes. After that initial 5 minutes, the computer goes into guage mode and will remain in that status for a total of 48hrs once you have reached the surface. (locked out)

Please correct me if this is false. I do not have the users manual infront of me to check this.

According to the Mosquito User's Manual: "Free mode is limited to 5 minutes, after which a warning is given. After 5+1 minutes the computer goes into error mode."

Based on that, I don't understand the posts on this board that say "Mosquito does not really have a gauge mode." From my interpretation of the user's manual, the Mosquito does have a "gauge mode" for AIR and EAN. It is only in the FREE diving mode where the "gauge" functions are limited to 5 minutes.

Is this correct? Could someone that owns a Mosquito help clear up this confusion?

dubya once bubbled...
According to the Mosquito User's Manual: "Free mode is limited to 5 minutes, after which a warning is given. After 5+1 minutes the computer goes into error mode."

Based on that, I don't understand the posts on this board that say "Mosquito does not really have a gauge mode." From my interpretation of the user's manual, the Mosquito does have a "gauge mode" for AIR and EAN. It is only in the FREE diving mode where the "gauge" functions are limited to 5 minutes.

Is this correct? Could someone that owns a Mosquito help clear up this confusion?

Gauge mode would display *only* bottom time, depth, and max depth for the dive.

Regular computer mode for Air and EAN will display NDL time remaining, nitrogen loading, etc.

I imagine that the latter is what you're looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom