Dive Philippines Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdixon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got the oppportunity to dive in the Philippines on a two week notice, WOW. Will be in the Panglao Island / Cebu area. Usually have more time to do my homework for a new area. Any tips about differences from Caribbean diving or anything I should take or look out for would be appreciated.

One question, I understand that the local power is 220v, using the same plug we use in the US?

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can share.

Differences? hmmm...boats, mango shake, beer, coral reef, water temp, types of pelagics and critters..

Outlets in Philippines generally accept 2 types of plug:
outlet-type-a.png
Flat blade plug
outlet-type-b.png
Two round pins

and do dive the sites in Balicasag Island (just 30-40 minutes from Panglao).

Just get a adaptor for 50/100 peso that bypass the ground pin ... you will be fine whit north american electronics

If ur in cebu , u can dive in cebu in mactan hilton neigbourhood , or i like malapascua and there also Moalboal that ight be closer

check for PPD Philippines Main Dive Map

Got the oppportunity to dive in the Philippines on a two week notice, WOW. Will be in the Panglao Island / Cebu area. Usually have more time to do my homework for a new area. Any tips about differences from Caribbean diving or anything I should take or look out for would be appreciated.

One question, I understand that the local power is 220v, using the same plug we use in the US?

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can share.
from what i know of Caribbean diving? hmmmmmmmm...

more fish, slightly less viz...

warmer people...

better beaches...

prettier women... :biggrin:

less thong bikinis... :depressed:

cheaper rates...

less tourist traps...

better diving :eyebrow:

would appreciate a trip report... would be nice to know an honest opinion of how we compare to the Caribbean...

have fun!!!

Jag

Helpful, thank you. Mango shakes, local beer, prettier women, better diving.... all pluses, well except for the no thongs :)

Water temp? Any particular thing to look out for, good or bad. Jag, I will be posting a trip report, think I will start it quoting you.

well chip wears funny speedos but that's not going to make up for the thong issue...

hmmmm... things to look out for...

if you are being hosted in any way by the locals expect to eat (and drink) a lot...

if you don't have the heart (or liver) for (real) hard liquor you'd best stay away from the local moonshine - lambanog, basi or what ever version they got on hand - feel free to try it but you may politely decline after you'd had your fill... US customs doesn't call it torpedo juice because of its sweet taste :wink:

on the other hand if you think you need a few more strands of hair on your chest do feel free to dive in hehehehe

hmmmm... some more

after you've tried mango shakes, try the GREEN mango shakes... sour, amazing stuff...

in cebu don't bother going to the "sutukil"... it's nothing special and a tourist trap... if you do want some truly local flavor ask to be brought to the chicken barbecue stands near fuente osmena and prepare to dig into freshly grilled chicken, "hanging" rice and ice cold san miguel... and don't bother looking for silverware either :wink:

a favorite in that area is kinilaw - raw tangigue or tuna in vinegar... sorta like a ceviche (if you like that stuff)... it's twice as good if you as for "sinuglaw" w/c is a kinilaw and grilled pork mix... great texture and contrast in taste

great... now i'm hungry...

Jag

If I may add in my oppinion. The diversity of fish and invertebrate life is mindboggling compared to caribean diving. i mean the caribean is nice, but this just blows it away. Other than that, there are many many more "Weird" cool species! Things like different species of frogfish, eels, waspfish, scorpionfish, seahorses, pipefish, unicorfish, triggerfish, boxfish, stargasers, Nudibranches, octopus, seasnakes, trevally, swetlips... and the list goes on... In general, I've found the fish to be more colourfull than the caribean too.

Oh, and in general there are more nasty venomous things too! So you need to watch yourself and don't touch or bump into anything! Which is just good diving etiquette anyways...:D

The species are so very different from the caribean, that it's a nice change if you're used to the caribean diving.

Other than that, well there is the cultural difference... For me, it was wonderfull living it a bit and getting to know the Philipino people (a bit)! My only regrets was not being able to hook up with the PPDers (except for briefly meeting ZEE).:depressed:

Hope this helps!

oh... and if you happen to spend a few hours in tagbilaran

i highly recommend the thai massage place on the way to the ocean jet terminal... can't remember the street... it''s a few houses away from body and sole...

excellent thai massage by trained masseurs... dirt cheap to if you convert it to $

about 100 from the pier/ ocean jet terminal is a resto on stilts... can't remember the name but i've eaten there abou 6 times already... VERY good food... don't expect the 4 seasons but very good food...

there are 2 of them... choose the one facing out to the water closer to the terminals...

and they have a decent sinuglaw as well hahahahaha

*stomach growls...*

Jag

Helpful, thank you. Mango shakes, local beer, prettier women, better diving.... all pluses, well except for the no thongs :)

Water temp? Any particular thing to look out for, good or bad. Jag, I will be posting a trip report, think I will start it quoting you.

Another big plus the Philippines has over the Caribbean...NO SAND FLIES !!!
Everything Jag is said is sort of true. He's a bit prejudiced though. :D
As far as women though...for just raw beauty...dude, Costa Rica and Colombia are hard to beat. hooolllly sh...well, you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom