So I'm a stroke for now............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsgobie

Reaction score
Ok I'm not a DIRer...... But I like the ideas and the equipment. But what I hate about the whole DIR philosophy are the people that are DIR wannabes, and it's either DIR or are you sure your certified? Or no b/p wing you own junk. Computer?? are you crazy?? And lastly, I really hate the people that talk so much about Andrew and George you'd think they were about to take them out to a romantic dinner or something... Geeze...

So here it goes.. Well if I'm a stroke because I'm not dir... Than what is a DIR wannabe?? And wannabes just won't work.. Lets here it all.....

A couple of my buddies had mentioned posers, and strokers (being that they talk so sweet about Andrew and George)

I really didn't like these and I thought all of you could think of some much better words...

This has nothing to do with Andrew or George... I just don't like the fact the we divers that don't dive to DIR standards are call all sorts of names from stroke to cockroach, and the guys that mostly call us those names aren't even true DIR divers.... I would really like some input from a couple of the real DIRer on the board.

Flame away.

:boom: :boom: :boom:

dsgobie once bubbled...
Ok I'm not a DIRer...... But I like the ideas and the equipment. But what I hate about the whole DIR philosophy are the people that are DIR wannabes, and it's either DIR or are you sure your certified? Or no b/p wing you own junk. Computer?? are you crazy?? And lastly, I really hate the people that talk so much about Andrew and George you'd think they were about to take them out to a romantic dinner or something... Geeze...

Wow DS,

I don't know who you have been talking to, but they need some serious help. People that forget their roots in diving or pretend that they "woke up" one day and were DIR...well...what can I say. I'll admit that once I saw the benefits of a BP and wing over a standard BC, it was difficult for me to be excited about diving a BC ever again, especially once I picked up a Pioneer wing for diving singles. Not everyone has the finances that allow them to just turn around and ditch their current equipment config. It's too bad that who ever you are running into doesn't just try and explain what could be done if anything to make yours or someone else's rig safer. After all DIR is all about diving as safe and smart as possible. Pissing people off isn't educating them or making anything safer.

Hehehe...I know what you mean about all the talk about Andrew and George...although since Andrew has been the only GUE instructor teaching on this rock, that could have a lot to do with why you hear his name so much. Why you are hearing George's name...don't know unless someone is trying to be as "grating" as he is.

What get's me though, is I have been through a few GUE courses and plan to take more. I do my level best to dive and configure my equipment in the DIR manner, dive in a DIR manner and workout and maintain a healthy lifestyle, however since I am always learning and practicing does that quantify me as a DIR diver or a DIR wannabe. And I'm not poking fun at you, I'm serious. I have been reading all of George's rants about how many people in the world are truely DIR (to him), and his circle is rapidly collapsing. I have gotten to the point where I don't worry about a label for the style of diving I do.

I'm bummed that you are getting the bum end of someone's ranting. It's stuff like what you describe that turns people off to a perfectly good system or process.

I don't even know what to say on the stroke and poser issue. In fact that came up at lunch and the general consensus was "oh well".

Don't let who ever this is, get under your skin. It's barely been a year since DIR was introduced to this island, and there weren't very many of us in those first classes. And it was only December that the second round of classes were conducted. So whoever is spouting this stuff is a DIR newbee, or someone that wants to portray themselves as something they are not or read in a book.

As to what a real DIR diver is...

Do you really think this is a productive thread?

Name calling always clouds the issue and produces much more harm than good. If you don't like the name calling then ignore it and try to be a little bigger. Most of the time people who are unable to debate or discuss the question at hand are the ones who resort to name calling. Do you really want to walk down that road? One of the nice things about SB is the lack of this behaviour; don't encourage it.

*note for your own edification* - As I understand it the term "stroke" came from the divers who came up to George when he was diving to talk to him and "stroke" his ego. Most of them could be called DIR wannabee's (although I believe this was before the term was invented) because they wanted to be like George.

Brian

My understanding of "strokes" was those divers with unsafe attitudes or practices.

It seems that others have applied it to a broader range of people, including those that do not have "correct" gear configuration.

So IMO, even a newbie openwater diver who is willing to learn not only the correct way to do things (and why it's correct) and displays the proper attitude towards diving safely would not be a "stroke."

I personally don't consider myself to be a DIR diver, because as I see it, it's an all or nothing proposition, and I still have a few things lacking.

Nor do I consider myself a "stroke" because I think that am safe with my practices.

Personally I feel there is a some grey area, tho others will argue that point, and it's in this area that I'm most comfortable at the moment.

bwerb once bubbled...
Do you really think this is a productive thread?

Name calling always clouds the issue and produces much more harm than good. If you don't like the name calling then ignore it and try to be a little bigger. Most of the time people who are unable to debate or discuss the question at hand are the ones who resort to name calling. Do you really want to walk down that road? One of the nice things about SB is the lack of this behaviour; don't encourage it.

*note for your own edification* - As I understand it the term "stroke" came from the divers who came up to George when he was diving to talk to him and "stroke" his ego. Most of them could be called DIR wannabee's (although I believe this was before the term was invented) because they wanted to be like George.

Brian

Brian,

I think frustration is what started this thread, and I agree name calling isn't something productive, but how on earth could this even be discussed without quantifying it with the two names?

crazyc once bubbled...

Brian,

I think frustration is what started this thread, and I agree name calling isn't something productive, but how on earth could this even be discussed without quantifying it with the two names?

uhh...I'll clarify...I'm saying that the whole idea of this thread is a serious no starter. One group is frustrated at being called names, the response which this thread is proposing is to come-up with another name to throw back. Escalating the conflict will do nothing but continue the flaming on both sides. I do not believe this course of action will help solve your frustration, it will only confirm it as you will very quickly receive back exactly what you expect. I'm suggesting that perhaps you simply ignore the name calling and stick to intelligent debate.

bwerb once bubbled...

uhh...I'll clarify...I'm saying that the whole idea of this thread is a serious no starter. One group is frustrated at being called names, the response which this thread is proposing is to come-up with another name to throw back. Escalating the conflict will do nothing but continue the flaming on both sides. I do not believe this course of action will help solve your frustration, it will only confirm it as you will very quickly receive back exactly what you expect. I'm suggesting that perhaps you simply ignore the name calling and stick to intelligent debate.

Ahh...

I understand where you are coming from. My big concern was that if DSGOBIE was upset enough to write the message, let him write it and get the frustration out of his system. I agree SB is a place to discuss issues towards a productive means, but isn't there also some rooom for folks to vent and get this stuff out of their system in a place where someone else may understand their frustration?

I haven't seen DSGOBIE instigate anything on SB, so I took it as a valid frustration outlet for him.

Oh well...

Have a great day.

And I thought it described divers who dive vertically...

Cave Diver once bubbled...
My understanding of "strokes" was those divers with unsafe attitudes or practices.

It seems that others have applied it to a broader range of people, including those that do not have "correct" gear configuration.

So IMO, even a newbie openwater diver who is willing to learn not only the correct way to do things (and why it's correct) and displays the proper attitude towards diving safely would not be a "stroke."

I personally don't consider myself to be a DIR diver, because as I see it, it's an all or nothing proposition, and I still have a few things lacking.

Nor do I consider myself a "stroke" because I think that am safe with my practices.

Personally I feel there is a some grey area, tho others will argue that point, and it's in this area that I'm most comfortable at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom