Buying wetsuit & gear in Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanukDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey y'all
We are arriving in a week from Canada, and my bf needs a wetsuit, and we both need new snorkels and possibly fins. Most of what they have around here for suits are 7mm or more, and there's not a lot of time for shopping.
With so many dive operators in the areas where we are going (moalboal, duma, alona beach), can we wait and buy one there? Are selection and prices good? Any suggestions for dive shops with good selection in those places? :)
thanks for your help! looking forward to getting back in the water!!
Canuk

Don't know much about the selection & shopping at the destination resort locations, but if you have at least a day layover in Manila, try Nautilus Dive & Sports Center.

I haven't been to the specific locations you mention, but in Puerto Galera, the prices were good back when the USD - AUD exchange rate was close to parity (good times!); now it's at 0.65 :(

Since I see the loony is currently at 0.79 USD, I would think they would still be reasonably competetive, but you could probably buy cheaper from one of the online US stores now

Of course with wetsuits & to a lesser degree fins, it's nice to be able to try the fit first, and you may not have time for mail order anyway

A 3mm suit would be much better suited to Philippines diving, where the water temperature is usually in the mid-20s (celsius) at this time of year - I personally use a 3mm springer (shorty) suit there

Prices are competitive.

Alona Beach has a couple dive shops you can buy at (saw them, can't remember name). In Duma try Snoopy at ScubaVentures. I hope he's still kicking around. Not sure about Moalboal though.

But are you arriving in to the PI via Cebu or Manila? I find that there's always a wetsuit sale somewhere in the Manila diveshops. Plus the prices are better (more competition). If you are stopping through Manila, I reco you buy it there.

3mm should be fine. Bring a rash guard and beach shorts incase you want to dive without a wetsuit.

funny... i posted a message here but it's not here... weird

anyway try Scuba Stop Dive Shop ONLINE

it's not completely populated yet but if you email gordon and tell him i sent you he can hook you up w/ what you need and all you'll need to do is pick it up when you zip through manila

jag

Just as another option, if you already know what you want and the sizing. Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear and Wetsuits Cheap online

Scubatoys delivers next day to Canada! I don't know how they do it, but it works! And you get 10% off if you tell them you are a scubaboard member!

If not, I'm sure you'll find gear in the PI! 3mm full, or 5mm if you get chilly easily.

Cheers!

Gee now I wish we were going through Manila!
Codman, thanks for the link. We'll check the Scubatoys site, but I don't know whether we're keen to buy before we try-on. Plus, ther are only 4 business days left before we gt on the plane! (well, it's a bus/ferry for us first).
I suspect there may be more to choose from in Dauin/dumaguete. Will keep our eyes out for SNoopy.
cheers
-Canuk

If you're arriving via Cebu there are a couple of dive shops there as well. I'm only familiar with Pacifica Dive shop although I'm certain there are more.

Hi Canuk,
I guess you will be arriving via Cebu / Mactan?
Our Shop is 10min away from the airport, we have complete sizes of different 3mm and 5mm Wetsuits of Akona and Seemann / Johnson Outdoor in stock.
Cheers,
Torben

Torben, this is the kind of business publicity I like!:coffee: You weren't just trying to get shameless free publicity for your shop... You wre actually trying to help someone out here! Cheers to you!:coffee: This is an excellent example for the other businesses that would like to be know here on the PPD forum. Just hang around, contribute and help, and you'll get known!!!

Cheers!:coffee:

Hi Canuk,
I guess you will be arriving via Cebu / Mactan?
Our Shop is 10min away from the airport, we have complete sizes of different 3mm and 5mm Wetsuits of Akona and Seemann / Johnson Outdoor in stock.
Cheers,
Torben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom