Unmanned Expedition Vessel - your help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

World Wide Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Davao, but like General Santos and Davao Oriental
# of dives
A bit unusal is this...........

An unmanned expedition vessel will be launched from Mindanao to follow the wind direction to the East.

Please see: WINDVINDER.COM: construction of the vessel

This makes quite interesting reading.

The expedition team need the help of people to record sightings.

They hope that the boat will end up on either the Canadian or US coast. An expedition will follow to track down all sightings between the Philippines and where the boat ends up. Guess that this will end up as a documentary on the tv (Nat Geo or similar).

Depending on the wind, the boat could be in the vicinity of PNG, Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Midway and Hawaii (if it survives!)

The team are based in Davao and have asked if this information can be passed on via divers/contacts to those areas where they think the vessel might pass.

They very much appreciate any assistance.

They are based in Davao (Samal) and are just waiting for the right conditions to tow the boat out and launch it.

Sure that they will not mind people contacting them for further information

Many thanks

Sounds like a neat idea..... but in SE Asia? I cant imagine anyone, even wealthy people, constructing such a thing and releasing it to the wild (much less in the Phils). During my year and a half in the RP, I've seen the most insane things stolen from the sea including a drifting paraw with a drunk sleeping on it.

They've tracked NOAA drifting buoys to fishing villages, it's moving along with the currents and suddenlly it goes in a straight line to the fishing village. One was found as bar decoration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom