Short Report; Dumaguete and Siquijor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pony

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have just returned from a 1 1/2 week vacation at Pura Vida Resort in Dauin and Coco Grove resort in Siquijor. Diving was first done a Dauin for 4 days, with the Ducom pier one of the first dive sites. Unfortunantly, we had some of the most prolonged winds the area had seen for sometime, thus making the vizability at many sites less than desirable, including the pier. Theres only one person that has control over that aspect of diving. Apo Island was done next day with much better results on the more protected southern side. The sites there were fantastic and we were thankful we were able to get there with the winds of late. What really made our trip in the Dauin area for diving AND land based experience was the excellenct service provided by Mike Feeney and staff at Adventure Dive shop in Dumaguete. Mike went out of his way to make every part of our trip great. We felt like family. We can't wait till Mike get's his resort in Dauin completed so we can visit again.

Next we were off to Siquijor. Thankfully the ferry's were running again and the weather was clearing. We stayed at Coco Grove Beach resort that was absolutely beautiful; Lovely rooms and staff. We dove with Tata Relacion with Siquijor Dive Safari. Once again Tata and staff were the key in making this a perfect dive vacation. Tata took care of EVERYTHING for us and was one of the most gracious hosts we have had; a true warm Filipino. Tata is building a dive business and facilities as well, and we can't wait to return to go on a safari with him, as we were told we are now family, (uncertain if this was before or after the southern comfort night :D).

The Philippines is truely a divers paradise and we hope to return soon to dive more with our new adopted families. Thanks also to the advice we received from all the PPD members.

We have just returned from a 1 1/2 week vacation at Pura Vida Resort in Dauin and Coco Grove resort in Siquijor. Diving was first done a Dauin for 4 days, with the Ducom pier one of the first dive sites. Unfortunantly, we had some of the most prolonged winds the area had seen for sometime, thus making the vizability at many sites less than desirable, including the pier. Theres only one person that has control over that aspect of diving. Apo Island was done next day with much better results on the more protected southern side. The sites there were fantastic and we were thankful we were able to get there with the winds of late. What really made our trip in the Dauin area for diving AND land based experience was the excellenct service provided by Mike Feeney and staff at Adventure Dive shop in Dumaguete. Mike went out of his way to make every part of our trip great. We felt like family. We can't wait till Mike get's his resort in Dauin completed so we can visit again.

Next we were off to Siquijor. Thankfully the ferry's were running again and the weather was clearing. We stayed at Coco Grove Beach resort that was absolutely beautiful; Lovely rooms and staff. We dove with Tata Relacion with Siquijor Dive Safari. Once again Tata and staff were the key in making this a perfect dive vacation. Tata took care of EVERYTHING for us and was one of the most gracious hosts we have had; a true warm Filipino. Tata is building a dive business and facilities as well, and we can't wait to return to go on a safari with him, as we were told we are now family, (uncertain if this was before or after the southern comfort night :D).

The Philippines is truely a divers paradise and we hope to return soon to dive more with our new adopted families. Thanks also to the advice we received from all the PPD members.
thanks for the report... we're happy you had a great time!

Jag

I've heard conflicting reports on how much work is being done to the Ducomi pier. Was there any work being done when you were there?

I've heard conflicting reports on how much work is being done to the Ducomi pier. Was there any work being done when you were there?

Although there was unfortunantly very poor viz when we dove there on Monday, January 12th, there were scraping of several pillars. However, from the reaction of our dive leaders, there had been additional scraping of pillars (lower 1 meter) on the second part of the pier. Apparantly, this was NOT supposed to be done. They were obviously upset about this. I have not dove this site before, and there was an abundance of corals/life on the upper pillars (from what I could see), but I do not know what was there before.

From the conversations I've overheard, the local dive operators are working hard to keep the damage to a minimum and work WITH the Ducom to preserve as much as possible. The main damage found is in the lower couple of feet of the pillars, and that this may be the only area that needs repair. Unfortunantly, there is a lot of life in this area as well.

I personally NEED to return to this site someday as this was one of my worst ocean dives, ONLY because of the terrible viz due to the worst sustained winds the area had seen in sometime. I'm sure it would be much more impressive. However, I would not let this one dive site keep me from traveling to this great dive destination and the other local dive sites.

I am just glad that your girls came back from their treatment... your Southern comfort could have done bad damage to me too.

great to hear you had a good time

cheers

Rhoody

Just ask Tata the next time you see him why he missed his early morning ferry AND the new drink named after him at Coco Grove:D Hope to see you guys again in the near future.

Glad to hear that we have hooked another diver!!! Tell your friends that the PI diving rocks and come back soon!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom