Attacked by a bannerfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok... so I was on a night dive on Phi Phi Island a few months ago and there were a whole bunch of bannerfish around. I shone my light on one and he started swimming toward me. He kept jerking back and forth and making erratic swimming motions. Anyway, I guess he didn't like the light because eventually he bopped me with his beak 3 or 4 times until he chased me away. It didn't hurt but it did startle me. Strange thing for a little thing to do to such a big thing. Maybe I deserved it for shining my light in his eyes. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour from a fish? Usually they just appear blinded for a few seconds if you shine your light on them.

Well, have not experienced the Banner attack, but the most definately get un-happy at night with lights shone on them. Who wouldn't, imagine being awoken in your slumber by aliens holding a spot light :)

Had a similar experience with a barracuda once.

It was temporarily blinded and acted confused, then decided to get the h. e. double hocky sticks outta dodge and the path he choose was towards me.

Believe me a decent sized 'cuda whizzing less than a foot by you is a little unnerving.

From then on, I've always been much more careful where I shine my light.

On another note, I've had several other fish follow us around during dives. Whenever our lights picked out some innocent lil fish just hanging out the bigger fish moved in and *snap* they were a midnight snack in the blink of an eye.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

On another note, I've had several other fish follow us around during dives. Whenever our lights picked out some innocent lil fish just hanging out the bigger fish moved in and *snap* they were a midnight snack in the blink of an eye.

The sea lions around here have learned that trick, and do the same thing on almost every night dive. They also know boat lights will attract fish and squid so they follow boats around too.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Had a similar experience with a barracuda once.

Yikes!!:wacko: I'm glad my fish was a banner. Sheesh! Those teeth are scary.

Had a similar event as Cave Diver's happen with a Cuda on a night dive a few years back... the only difference is that contact was made!! And it hurt like H$LL!! After finally deciding that he was "outta here", he made a bee line full force for my crotch!! I screamed (yes, everybody heard me!) and closed my eyes thinking that there'd be blood everywhere (yes, everybody's lights were on my crotch!). Needless to say, he didn't bite, but I had a huge purple bruise on my inner thigh for 2 weeks after. And I bet he had a very sore nose for a week or so??
I think we both learned our lesson! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom