Need Guidance on Where to Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BellesMom

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, we are considering a trip to the PI this fall but have no idea where to go. Wondering where the best diving would be (we love both macro and bigger stuff) with a nice resort. For reference, we have been to Wakatobi and Lembeh and N. Sulawesi the past year. I am lost....

Many thanks in advance for any info!

Cheers, Nikki

Welcome Nikki to the PPD forum! I fully understand your confusion. There are so many different areas for great diving in the PI that at first it is a bit mindboggling!:shocked2: But you'll get to know the different areas thanks to the great people on this board who really know their diving in the PI! i'll try to paint a beginning of a picture and hope the PPDers will correct me if I screw up!

Let me start off by saying that in general there are 2 or 3 basic regions for the main diving destinations.
- Near Manila (Subic, Anilao and Puerto Galera)
- The Visayas (around Cebu, Bohol, mactan, Malapascua, moalboal, dumaguete)
- Palawan (Coron)

I'm sure anything I forgot will be added by others...:confused:

Although I've only personally been to PG, the diving seems really fantastic in all of those regions and they would all be good choices. if you are really interested in Big pelagics (sharks and rays, etc...), the only real place to find that would be Malapascua (they have Mantas and Thresher sharks). The other places you will find a good variety of fish and invertebrates. Subic and Coron have Wrecks...

If you want to do several different regions within one trip, I would suggest the visayas. That way you could avoid taking the plane between destinations (all of them are accessible by car/ bus/ ferry) within reasonable time. If you just want to crash in one place, any one will do.

Are you interested in ONLY diving? Or are you looking for partying/ sight seing too? Do you want quiet and remote? Or the option of going to restaurants and bars?

I hope this helps a bit in getting you oriented!:coffee:

Codman - thanks so much for the info....to narrow it down - our priorities are quality of diving (macro for sure) followed by nice resort (yes I am spoiled!) then the ambiance to experience and of course nice beach. We are spoiled by last couple of years in Indonesia and would like to continue that awesome type of experience. Can you or anyone recommend a specific resort and area???

Take care, Nikki

for macro:

1. Dumaguete- atlantis resort

2. Anilao - Solana

3. Cabilao - Polaris (no hot water though but the resort is nice and the macro is amazing)

Chip, I thought Anilao didn,t have any nice beach? If that's the case, I think it's off her list...

for macro:

1. Dumaguete- atlantis resort

2. Anilao - Solana

3. Cabilao - Polaris (no hot water though but the resort is nice and the macro is amazing)

ack missed that point. Correct, Codman, Anilao resorts have pebble beaches. You need to take a boat to sombrero island to enjoy a nice white sand beach.

I have been diving Puerto Galera for the last three months. It is very good for macro, and bigger stuff. I would say the macro here is spectacular. There are good oppurtunities to see sharks (there even has been a Thresher hanging around on one of the dive sites here lately, which is pretty rare) and many challenging dives.

On the other hand, I have not really seen any of the style of resorts I think you are looking for here. There are some nice places to stay, but the beach is far from pristine...

I haven't been down there yet, but I believe the Visayas have really great beaches and resorts. As well, Coron (wreck diving) has some awesome scenery and resorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom