Olympic Pool in Montreal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
has anybody been diving in the pool at the Big O? I got my OW in september and want to get in some practice over the winter so I don't feel like I have to relearn everything come late spring.

my LDS (they have my allegiance until I find something better) does scuba reviews there once a month during the winter and said my buddy and I can join them without doing the review, but including gear rental it would cost about $55 each. I looked at the pool's website, and they have $28 for entry and full gear, but they need at least 10 people reserved for them to open the pool. If anybody has been there, is it hard to get those 10 people (ie, have they cancelled the dive on you?) and is it worth going there in the first place?

If 10 people might be hard to get by chance, would anybody want to join us at some point?

Thanks.

thanks for the link... I had been looking at pool's activities page on the olympic installations board's website (which apparently had the link but I didn't notice, or it wasn't there when i last looked) but this is more helpful.

HI i went this week , its very nice for practice ,

You can get a card for 150 valid for 10 times and u can give entrence to your friend , or else its 20

that include the tank... its 50' deep , you got to call to reserve , unfortunatly i dont have the number

EDIT: the number is in the link

Club de Plongée du Parc Olympique (C.P.P.O.)
4141 ave. Pierre-de-Coubertin,
Montréal, (Québec) H1V 3N7.
Téléphone: (514) 254-4107
Fax: (514) 252-4748

Yes it's a good place to dive. But just so you know, the pool is built with 3 ledges. One at 15', one at about 30' and the last one is the bottom 50'. Because it's so deep, they won't let you practice exercises (like gear removal, mask clearing, ascents) anywhere except the first ledge (15'), which sucks. They are affraid of accidents so they impose this rule as contingency. Lets just say it limits what you have to do in the bottom which gets crowded easily (the bottom section isn't very big)! It's too bad, but that's their decision...

A piece of advice! When I go and the dive is over, I practice my blue water ascent by not ascending over the ledges. I ascend over the 50' deep part (for some reason, nobody does)! I find it a better excercise for my buoyancy control than ascending ledge by ledge. Since they'll only let you ascend once, I make it count...

Cheers!

thanks for the info codman, that gives me a bit of a better idea what to expect when i do go there

When I got my FQAS card, I was told that it really doesn't matter much unless you plan on going to the olympic pool as their pretty much the only ones that ask for it, but I wasn't asked when I went. Might have been because the lds rented the pool so the pool people pretty much ignored us while we were there.

i remember going there a few years ago and they were very picky about
paperwork but back then we didn't have this stupid FQAS card .... i do not
dive in Quebec anymore because of this card .... soooooooooooo stupid.

Back
Top Bottom