Warm water BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
hello,
I am currently diving the Zeagle Ranger and would like to try out a backplate. Do you guys suggest me going back plate direction since most of my diving happens down south? What I am worried about is using the back plate with a 3mm wetsuit. Is it uncomfortable? Painful? Metal on my bare back just makes me feel that it would be uncomfortable. What I really enjoy with the Ranger is the lack of a weight belt. Can i still get away without using a weight belt with a BP? Do any bp's have intergrated weight option? Thanks for all your help. Halycon or Dive Rite?

Thanks again,

Danny

Has padding and the option of integrated weights. For tropical the travel wings or at most rec wings will do. I have the travel wings which are very compact.

I've never tried a "real" BPW and I think that for the true tec and wreck situations the BPW would be somewhat better especially for doubles. But for tropical TPII is pretty nice.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Absolutely. You should check it out.

I have a Halcyon Pioneer 18 (out of production, look for a 27). I have the MC Pack (I think that's what they call it).

I wear it in the Carribean with a 3mm full and an AL 80. I've also done dives up here using the 3mm and an HP120. IMHO, its actually more comfortable than a BC because the tank is held very firmly in place.

You can knock 6 lbs. off your belt if you have a stainless steel plate. You'll probably lose a little more because the BP won't trap as much air as a Ranger (I have a Tech, so I am familiar with the Zeagle's characteristics).

If you do need weight, Halcyon makes a weight pocket system that attaches to the waist belt of the harness. Its called the active control ballast system, or something like that. It works like an integrated weight system.

I prefer a Halcyon to a Dive-Rite (those were my two choices some time ago).

Diversdiscount.com still sells the 18 lb wing for $144 (!).

I wear mine with a thin suit when travelling and with just a T-shirt in the pool. It is very comfortable, much more than it looks.

I have been diving a Halcyon 18 with a Dive-Rite SS B/P for 3 yrs now in Fla during the summer.I wear either a Polartec or a skin and have gotton only 2 scratches in over 400dives with it.The scratches were on the backof my shoulder and were caused by the bolts on my OMS STA when a swell moved me while donning the BC.The concave cross-section makes it difficult but not impossible to get a piece of meat(me) to touch the bolts.It is unbelieveably less constrictive and more compact than any vest type.I wear no weight unless I have on rubber.Neutral at 10' with an empty AL80.

Halcyon SS with either a DR Trekwing or Pioneer 27.

Works with a 3/2 , t-shirt, or naked.

No problems.

Peter

I use a SS long with my 3 mm and it works great. I still prefer my Oceanic Chute II for single tank diving, but for doubles, this thing ROCKS! Spend the extra dough and have him finish it for you though... he uses some excellent SS and it is hard to bevel. I need to pull mine apart and re-do my work.

As for weights... I never need them with my doubles or if I go with my steel HP120s. I do wear 6 lbs on a belt when I go with AL 80s.

You might want to consider saving yourself some $ and picking up the zeagle BP. You can use it with the wing from your ranger.

If you decide you dont like using the backplate, you haven't spent as much cash as if you picked up a dive rite or halcyon set-up.

If you enjoy using the bp, you can always change from the ranger wing to a dive rite or a halcyon wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom