Which is the best February liveaboard in Southern Red Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am planning a once in a lifetime liveaboard trip in the Red Sea in early February and I am trying to determine which is are the best liveaboard ships for this vacation. Since I am not really interested in wrecks, and I have already been to Ras Mohammad on a daily boat dive last year, it appears that the southern Red Sea is the best area for this trip.

There are just so many liveaboards out there -- which are the best?
Is a 3 mm wetsuit and hood warm enough for the South and St. John during February or do I need a 5 mm?

Also, from where do I fly into these remote airports like Marsa Ghalib Port? Cairo or the UK?

Thanks so much!
Tovster

I have done a few redsea liveaboards and in all honesty they are pretty much alike.

Sea Serpent Fleet and Tornado are both good operators which I have booked through Tony Backhurst and I have just been on a BlueOTwo boat, Blue Horizon which was very comfortable and had an excellent ladder, it depends on if you have specific requirements.

From the UK we generally fly from London Gatwick to Marsa Alam (Port Ghalib)

For me I look for lower beds although most of the bigger boats don't have bunks anymore.
I want nitrox but don't need trimix
A good ladder

:)

Hey mate.

If I was really lazy I could just tell you to check my website for all this info but I'll give a few tips here as well. I'm working as liveaboard guide in the Red Sea. I've lived and worked here for almost ten years and I've collected some of my experience on my website...

St. John's is always good. There is a huge varioty in dive sites and most likely you'll be departing from Marsa Alam or Marsa Ghaleb which means that you'll get to dive Fury Shoal and Wadi Gamal on your way out and back. World class diving there.

January and February you have "sardine runs" in St. John's. Bog schools of sardins gets hunted down to the last fin by grey sharks, sometimes silkies, tunas and dolphins. It happens you have big bite balls and predators shooting in and out... Wicked!

Regarding choice of suit that of course depends on how easily you freeze... There is a table with water temerature and different choices of suits on my website which makes it easier for you to make your mind up... Though I can tell you right now that you'll be very cold in a 3mm. Most guests use 5- or even 7mm suit... I wear my dry suit...

So if you log on to WELCOME TO AZIAB and then klick on "Yearly Cycle" you'll find out what's going on during different times of the year in the Red Sea. Marine life and weahter-wise... Jan-Feb can be really bad weather so Brothers Daedalus can be a bit rough...

Enjoy!
.....a.....
Red Sea Expert ;o)
WELCOME TO AZIAB

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom