PI Cellphones 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a luddite, I admit it. My DVD player confounds me at times, I cling lovingly to my vinyl collection and painstakingly made mixed tapes, and my iPod is older than dirt. (But not as old as my 20-odd-year-old TV.) Added to this, I do not own a cellphone. (Until now?)

A Filipino friend assures me that cellphones can be bought super cheap in the Philippines... ~$10 CAD for the phone, and $5 for talk time. Since I'd like to be able to contact resorts to let them know what ferry I'm arriving on so they can pick me up if applicable, I'm thinking this is the way to go.

If this is indeed true, would I be able to pick one up at the airport in Cebu on my way to my first dive destination? (I fly into MNL Thursday night and leave early in the morning for the Cebu airport so this would be my first opportunity to buy anything.)

TIA! :)

Luddite! wow, havent seen that term in a while.

I dont know what a CAD phone other than software enabled screens that run CAD.

Here in the Phils, you can pretty much buy any cheap phone you want... vendor-stand cheapo's run about 1500 pesos. Those are bottom of the line Nokias, mass produced, work with any SIM card in the world (cept for a certain Swedish item).

Here on Boracay, we can still get those crap phones for 1500 so you might get them cheaper at a kiosk nearby in Manila. Do they work? Yes. Are they reliable? Yes. Do they have a feature rich environment? Nope...not even close...but apparently you dont need that.

The SIM card itself is gonna vary wildly, from 30p to 300p depending on how foreign you look. White people are discriminated against if they reek of newness so keep that in mind---however, if they seem firm on a price, dont push it too hard. People DO get assaulted for pissing off vendors in this country. Your average might be 60p for a sim card. Be sure to keep the envelope/paperwork with the card.

Dunno about Cebu AP but expect higher prices than I quote. If its double, then they're just ripping you off with the 'skin tax'.

500 pesos is $10 bux +/- a few.

its 1p per text msg. (you get free txt every time you load more credit, qty depending on amt loaded)
3p/minute for voice local (last time I checked)
15p/minute for international to Iraq, Australia, Kuwait, Dubai, and USA.... most Intl are similar.

Thats on Globe SIM cards. There are also Sun, and Smart. Similar systems. Another one starting up is Red. Supposedly cheaper but I neither have the details on that, nor have seen its cards for sale anywhere.

Nothing is a contract (unless you really want it). Its all prepaid. Buy and go. No forms or info. No ID. Honestly, if anyone asks for your ID, walk away, its not required.

I think a basic used phone will run somewhere around P1500, $10 CAD sounds like a great price. Agree it can be handy to have a cell phone while in the PI. If you don't use it much, it will cost very little after the initial phone purchase. I can usually get a 300 peso card to last 2 months. of course, someone like my favorite dive buddy can use up 300 pesos in one day...

Globe and Smart SIM cards have both been fine for me. Sometimes one or the other will receive a signal better, but both have extensive coverage in the country.

You probably won't find a phone vendor at the airport, but if you have a hour or two in Cebu before leaving for your first destination, it should be easy to pick one up there. I haven't spent much time in Cebu, but most malls have a cell phone vendor and repair section. And depending on where you dive first, it should not be hard to pick up a phone around Tagbilaran or Dumaguette. Since you will probably be dealing with lugging dive gear around after getting of the plane in Cebu, it might be easier to wait until you are settled in for a day and then ask around for the closest phone vendor. Where do you plan on going first?

i saw basic nokias (brand new) selling for as low as 1,300 pesos. malls are your best bet. try robinson's mall in cebu.

I gues I'm a luddite as well as I don't even have a cell in the states. I once inquired on a cell in Cebu at Ayala mall but they claimed they were all out of the cheapest Nokia model so I just dropped the whole idea. It would make informing dive opps a little easier while traveling. I might just get one for my next trip in March.

Thanks for the replies! :) 1300-1500PHP is between $35-40 CAD so for only 5 weeks, I'll do without.

What about payphones? I'm guessing I won't have a problem locating one at either ferry terminals or airports? Are they generally found in working order? What is the cost for local and long distance (one province to another) calls? I'm guessing I need a pocketful of change... :confused:

If you have a friend who can loan you a cell phone that accomodates a SIM card, I recommend you just get it unlocked. If you're paying more than P500 you're getting ripped off.

Getting it unlocked just means it will work in North America or Asia. You can give it back to your friend and they wouldn't know the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom