Those with BP/wing setup: How do you wear your weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neve

Contributor
Reaction score
Originally from Bali, but now in Singapore
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I'm one of those poor unfortunate newbie who still needs to wear a weight belt with 2 kg - about 4lbs - of lead even when using the SS backplate :(

The problem is, when I dive off a boat and try to undo the weight belt to pass to the boatman after a dive, it takes forever because the stupid belt always gets tangled with the crotch strap and the lead weights get stuck :mad:

I can't wear ankle weights because my Jetfins have weighed me downwards already. I won't be horizontal if I wear ankle weights.

Another problem - I still use rental BP/wings, so welding something onto the backplate :wacko: is not an option either. (Besides, won't this affect the balance of the BP?)

My question is those of you who use BP/wings: how do you overcome this little problem? Do you have custom-made weightbelt that dissolves into thin air when you unbuckle? :D And don't suggest wetsuit pockets coz I. Don't. Bloody. Know. How. To. Sew.

Should I:
Strap the weight belt around my neck? :confused:
Eat more before I dive?
Have some lead for brekkie?
Put lead block inside my wetsuit? (I was seriously thinking about this for a while, but decided against it coz I'd look weird with square bulges around my tummy :D )

Some advise woould be much appreciated.

Ta!

Let me stress I am a newbie as well still sorting out all kinds of buoyancy issues since implementing my new drysuit into the mix. Things like trim have become or paramount importance now to me...

I tried weight pockets on my BP harness...hated the bulk and mass of them, so I wear my weight belt UNDER my harness belt. I also have a weighted STA and SS BP, and have 2 weight pockets mounted on my 2 tank cam bands (single tank diving) as well to adjust trim.

So far this is the best I have come up with.

At fist it became an issue of 'ditchable weight' - but more experienced divers have told me that ditching weight isn't always the answer to a problem, and you still can drop your weight belt from under the harness IF you still needed to.

For years I dove with a military harness that had a crotch strap; I would don the tanks and then put the weight belt on so that it was over the crotch strap so I could ditch if necessary.

Another option is something like the DUI weight and trim system. The weights are in pockets attached to the harness, so you can put the weight harness on first and then the backplate.

I have one of these that I wear when doing some commercial work and i have found it very comfortable, spreading the weight to my shoulders and not my hips. Also I can adjust wear the height of the weights.

Hope this helps.

I used a weight belt until about a month ago. Then I bought a pair of trim pockets that are put on the cam bands on the tank. They hold up to 5 lbs each.

They made a huge difference with trim, and were perfect for getting rid of my weight belt.

Do you NEED ditchable weight? I've seen people who need very little weight dump the belt altogether and simply use tank weights (small pockets that attach to the cam bands on a Pioneer...if I am correctly remembering what I saw).

You might be able to use 2# on each side and get rid of the belt ASSUMING:

• You are swimming a balanced rig and don't need ditchable weight in the event of an emergency.
  • You can move the weight from your wasit/hips to the back of your tank and not have your pivot point thrown so out of kilter that your trim is shot.

Just an alternative thought...

kkm

Wow, great suggestions, guys! :kissy:

I think I may try wearing the belt on the outside pf the harness/crotch strap. I thought this was not an option - my instructor told me to wear it on the inside, and being a good, obedient student I had to comply :)

UP - yeah, that would work too. Why didn't I think of that? :bonk: Just started using BP/wing and obviously not very competent yet!

Will try this when I dive next weekend! Thanks again all.... =-)

Hi Neve,

One other option available to you is a lead weight that attaches to your backplate. Try doing a search on this board for "P-weights".

These are a type of trim weight that fits into the channel of your backplate. There was a thread not long ago in which someone posted a link to a series of photos that described what P-weights are and how to make one. I'm sure someone out in your area pours their own weights - in which case you can make it as heavy as you need. If not, they are available online from different sources.

P-weights allow you to remove ditchable weightbelts. Whether this is an option you wish to consider or not is a subjective decision.

But recognize that it's available.

Doc

neve once bubbled...
. . . I wear a weight belt with 2 kg - about 4lbs - of lead even when using the SS backplate :(

The problem is, when I dive off a boat and try to undo the weight belt to pass to the boatman after a dive, it takes forever because the stupid belt always gets tangled with the crotch strap and the lead weights get stuck

... so welding something onto the backplate :wacko: is not an option either. (Besides, won't this affect the balance of the BP?)

Hi Neve,

I'm wondering if your original problem may not need to be solved at all. You're currently using a 2kg belt right? And your issue is that you find it difficult to release it at the end of a dive before getting back on board a boat?

Well, considering that it's just 2kg of extra weight, why not just keep it on until you're back in the boat and can properly undo your harness? You indicated that a channel-weight sounds intriguing except that you're renting your gear, and if you had one of those, you certainly couldn't hand it to the boatman. So, perhaps your solution is the wear the belt as your instructor indicated, under the crotch-strap, and keep it on.

Just my $.02

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom