Diving in Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcgoose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hopefully this isn't too repetitive, but I certainly appreciate any good advice and experiences. We are planning a trip the end of June to Dahab, diving for 7 days.
Both of us have many dives under our belt and are mostly interested in UW photo. I hear the camel overnight is a fun adventure, can anyone suggest a dive center? and some do not miss sites.
Thanks!

Thanks for the not to be missed dive sites! Aren't all the trips using a private guide?
We were thinking about Reef2000.
Any experiences.

Normally the dive center puts divers together to form groups of 6 divers when the dive center is a good one, and up to .. when the dive center is not the best thing around :)

A private guide is something to ask the dive center about for extra charge, or to hire a freelancer for merely the same dive center's price.

I had dove there three years ago My girlfreind and I stayed in Dahab for three days as part of the Egypt tour we were on. First I have say the whole time we were in Egypt we never felt unsafe. As for Dahab the dives that I did were all shore dives, which included the Blue hole, Canyon and the Bell. They were all great dives. There are also alot of other sites that would have been nice to do but we were on a schudule, the company I dove with was Red Divers and there was only two of us diving. I also liked their attitude to having a safe dive. During the set-up or surface interval I did notice that there were partys of around ten people, but was lucky enough to be diving when they were not in the water. The accomidations we had were fine also, It wasn't five star but we were there to experience the people and the county not stay as if we were at home. I would definetly stay there again, and probably will in the future.

I think you should make contact with someone on site and deal up the personal guide thing personally instead of booking one with a dive operator. Someone like the Red Sea Shadow can sort out it all for you. Then you get a guide and a new friend... How cool isn't that...

...a...

Reef 2000 is a good dive shop. It is a ways from the centre of town though so if you are staying there you will need to flag a taxi truck down to get back and forth. This isnt a problem as there will be people asking you "taxi! taxi!?!?| all day everyday and everywhere you go to the point of driving you insane. I think Poseidon Dive Centre is a great one too, as is Fantasea. Most of the shops are equally safe and experienced give or take a few that will be pretty obviously of a lesser standard. And getting a private guide will be as easy as asking, as even if a shop is busy they can call in a freelance DM to take you out. Have fun, Dahab is paradise.

My 2p worth would be to recomend Fantasea I have dived with them on four trips in the last 18 month
Chriss and her staff will bend over backwards to help you

fantasearedsea dot com

To me don't miss sites include Islands (!!), Canyon and Bells-Blue Hole. If you like macro photography then night dive at Lighthouse is a must for you. I was told Canyon is a nice site for night diving though I haven't done Canyon in the night myself yet. The Caves is a nice site also.

My daughter and I dove in Dahab last year (May) for one week. We went with Poseidon Divers in Dahab. Most of the dive shops in the area use freelance guides to accomodate demand. For the most part, we were alone or with 2-4 other divers. Poseidon was very friendly, safety oriented and helpful. They worked hard to ensure we got the most out of our week in Dahab. They did a check dive on us the first day at Masbat and then we dove everything we could for a week and we took the NitrOx course. They chartered a boat in Dahab (depart from the Marriott) one day each week (at least) to go to Gabr El Bint.

The camel dive is a blast,,, just hang on to the saddle and hold yourself back when the camel goes downhill...:shocked2:. your jewels will appreciate it. After a while you'll get the rythm and you'll be able to ride without killing your bits. You saddle up for the camel dive at Blue Hole and you ride north along the shore for about 1-1/2 hours north to Ras Abu Gallum. We saw the most fish on our second tank of the camel dive...

The Blue Hole is great. The eel garden was cool to see the eels "growing" out of the sand. We also went down to Sharm to dive the Thistlegorm. That was a crowded dive but still very worthwhile. In mid May I wore a full 5mm wet suit, no hood or gloves, and that was just about perfect.

We were happy with the service that Poseidon gave us... I don't know if the price or service of a private guide is better or not.

Have a great time!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom