DM for recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a recreational diver who has been steadily building knowledge, experience and certifications over the years and am debating how far to take my education.

I will be taking the PADI rescue course in Feb., then I think that I want to take the DM course this spring/summer, even though I have no plans to be a professional (read; paid) diver. My reasons for taking the DM course are:

-The more I know the safer I am.

-My wife and I like to take bareboat charter trips to the BVIs, and we plan on taking trips with friends in the next couple years. My wife and friends have not moved beyond their OW certifications and they don't dive very often. I believe that the more I educate myself, the safer we will all be.

-I feel that having the training of a DM will allow me to better prepare dive plans and briefings, and to approach diving with my less experienced buddies on a more professional level.

-Finally, I believe that being a DM will make me more credible when arranging for rentals of multiple sets of equipment, refills, etc. with the LDS in the BVIs.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Am I way off base?

I am a recreational diver who has been steadily building knowledge, experience and certifications over the years and am debating how far to take my education.

I will be taking the PADI rescue course in Feb., then I think that I want to take the DM course this spring/summer, even though I have no plans to be a professional (read; paid) diver. My reasons for taking the DM course are:

Yes, although that doesn't mean that becoming safer stops with education. Pursue experience by diving with mentors and just plain diving as well.

As a side note, one LDS sells the PADI DM course for C$399 and it takes six weeks. Another sells it for $700 and it takes six months! The second shop has a much tougher curriculum, including training a lot of basic diving skills that are taken for granted if a shop just teaches the bare minimum. So for the less-experienced diver, the second shop has a much better course. $300 better? I couldn't say. But certainly better.

However, a very experienced diver might already have all of that down pat, in which case the second shop is going to waste their time and money on what amounts to a refresher course.

I mention this as a way of encouraging you to really research your instructor and their plan. You can just "buy a card," or you can "get an education." It's really up to you to ensure that the course fulfills your personal needs.

I believe any form of further education will improve you (even if sometimes only by a little), and so it is always a worthwhile goal.

A lot of dive stores in this part of the world give breaks to visiting DMs for exactly the reason you mention - it is nice to have extra people onboard who really know what they are doing... just in case.

Just be aware that the DM rating usually requires you to pay fees and insurance to keep it up. That was why I eventually let mine lapse.

PADI distinguishes between active and inactive divemaster status - so if you want to take the class just for your own knowledge and skill improvement, you don't have to maintain insurance or PADI dues.

It's a very worthwhile course if you're interested and have the time, even if you're not planning on being an active divemaster.

-B

-My wife and I like to take bareboat charter trips to the BVIs, and we plan on taking trips with friends in the next couple years. My wife and friends have not moved beyond their OW certifications and they don't dive very often. I believe that the more I educate myself, the safer we will all be.

-I feel that having the training of a DM will allow me to better prepare dive plans and briefings, and to approach diving with my less experienced buddies on a more professional level.

-Finally, I believe that being a DM will make me more credible when arranging for rentals of multiple sets of equipment, refills, etc. with the LDS in the BVIs.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Am I way off base?

A Dm course usually runs about $500. plus books/materials/application fees-that can add another $200-$300 easy.Then there is insurance,not sure what Dm insurance is now but most likely around $350.. for year.
Why not just take rescue and perhaps a few specialties? Not that I am against anyone becoming a DM (people pay me to get them to that level) but it will make you more liable if you are "in charge" of a group of people-friends or not.
You write about renting multiple sets of gear..I suggest not to do it,for you are then in the liability loop with whoever uses it.Are these people using the gear certified/have they dove recently if certified? If they are certified let them rent it.If not then as a DM you know better than to allow them to use it and if there is an accident you will have problems.
As to briefings on a dive site;have you dove there before? are you aware of any changes to site?Best to leave that to the locals especially if people with you do not dive very often and are not current with their skills.

The more I know the safer I am.
A generally applicable statement. DM will expand you theoretical knowledge base, and you operational knowledge base as well. Certaibnly, any DM needs to continue to develop by diving, but DM training is valuable.
My wife and friends have not moved beyond their OW certifications and they don't dive very often. I believe that the more I educate myself, the safer we will all be.
Again, I fully agree. Part of the 'safer' comes from a level of understanding, and part from a level of confidence. DM training is by no means the only way to achieve that. It is, nonetheless, a valuable approach.
I feel that having the training of a DM will allow me to better prepare dive plans and briefings, and to approach diving with my less experienced buddies on a more professional level.
Most definitely.
Finally, I believe that being a DM will make me more credible when arranging for rentals of multiple sets of equipment, refills, etc. with the LDS in the BVIs.
I am not as certain about this. Having a DM-level certificiation will not hurt. I just don't know what the additional benefit will be.
Some will say that the only reason to pursue DM is to prepare for functioning at a professional level (teaching, assisting with teaching, working as a DM in a resort environment, etc.). I pursued DM training to enhance my confidence, and to improve the precision of my diving skills, recognizing that the 'diving' was to be done in a confined water (aka pool) environment. I accomplished my goals. Only later did I decide to continue to instructor. I recommend it. BUT, I also recommend that you select a DM trainingprogram on the basis of active discussion with the shop / instructor regarding what YOU want to accomplish. As with any other certification, DM training is not necessarily the same in all environments.

I disagree that the DM course is the best way to be made safer. Dive more often. Every chance you get. Pick up a GUE Fundies course if you really want to stretch your experiences. Or better yet, take a NAUI Master class and get the book education you never got in Physiology, Physics etc as relates to diving. Just my opinion...

I think my husband might weigh in here, but he was very disappointed to discover that there was essentially no development of diving skill involved in his DM class. There was a lot about being a professional, and how to assist with classes, but nobody really evaluated his diving skill (or that of any of his classmates) or attempted to improve it.

Rescue is a superb class. If you want to develop skills beyond that, I'd recommend a cavern class, or Fundies, or UTD Essentials. Those will focus on your buoyancy and trim, and your propulsion techniques, and your situational awareness, and your buddy skills. Improving those things is a big leg up on safety, at least to me.

I'm the husband referred to above -- a PADI DM (for about 12 months now), in a PADI AI class and scheduled to take the IDC/IE in March to become a PADI OWSI. My DM course took over a year -- I wasn't in a hurry and neither was my instructor which meant I got to help out/intern with a number of classes.

I originally took the DM class on the assumption that I would actually improve my diving skills -- I was wrong. There was little, or nothing, in my class that actually dealt with diving skills as opposed to learning "The PADI Way" of working with classes, teaching and the various roles a DM plays in the PADI world. One thing I did learn, and one of the reasons I stayed with the class, was working with students which would certainly fit one of your reasons for doing this -- that is, teaching YOU how to be a better mentor to your friends.

Because I took the "slow road" to my DM, I had the chance, and I took the opportunities, to take several other classes which I believe elevated my skill level. I took GUE's DIR-F, TDI Cavern and Intro to Cave and even got a Helitrox cert (really, an Intro to Tech sort of class) all while doing the DM.

To the extent I have some advice to provide -- IF you want to take the DM because you think you'll learn a lot and become a better diver -- forget it. Take other classes that will actually teach you how to be a better diver -- learn non-silting kicks; REALLY learn buoyancy control; learn about Gas Management/gas planning; etc. These will make you a much better diver and should help you plan, and lead, the dives you are contemplating.

IF however, you think you want to learn how to be a mentor, then go through DM training.

Me, being the type of person I am, I ended up doing both!

I'm the husband referred to above -- a PADI DM (for about 12 months now), in a PADI AI class and scheduled to take the IDC/IE in March to become a PADI OWSI. My DM course took over a year -- I wasn't in a hurry and neither was my instructor which meant I got to help out/intern with a number of classes.

I originally took the DM class on the assumption that I would actually improve my diving skills -- I was wrong. There was little, or nothing, in my class that actually dealt with diving skills as opposed to learning "The PADI Way" of working with classes, teaching and the various roles a DM plays in the PADI world. One thing I did learn, and one of the reasons I stayed with the class, was working with students which would certainly fit one of your reasons for doing this -- that is, teaching YOU how to be a better mentor to your friends.

Because I took the "slow road" to my DM, I had the chance, and I took the opportunities, to take several other classes which I believe elevated my skill level. I took GUE's DIR-F, TDI Cavern and Intro to Cave and even got a Helitrox cert (really, an Intro to Tech sort of class) all while doing the DM.

To the extent I have some advice to provide -- IF you want to take the DM because you think you'll learn a lot and become a better diver -- forget it. Take other classes that will actually teach you how to be a better diver -- learn non-silting kicks; REALLY learn buoyancy control; learn about Gas Management/gas planning; etc. These will make you a much better diver and should help you plan, and lead, the dives you are contemplating.

IF however, you think you want to learn how to be a mentor, then go through DM training.

Me, being the type of person I am, I ended up doing both!

Peter - I think you hit on a major point here. Especially from the way my courses have been taught. (and I think our NAUI instructor is a fantastic mentor) But Rescue and DM make you a more aware diver and is a huge education and makes you a better diver in the scheme of things, it is not about your personal skills. It was only my DM course that brought to light that maybe those freaks at High Springs have something going on there. And that there'd be a reason to look at GUE-F. And in the last year I've come to understand that it's important to refocus on solid skills and not just trying to get a cert. And I'm more excited than ever! so DM is an evolution, but to be a good instructor there's more to learn. ---

Wow really? both you an Lynn are this incitefull? Last I read they wanted to kick her off for having to many thanks... ... Double trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom