Komodo dive seasons ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, folks -

Back to Indonesia this fall ... third annual! We're hooked on the place. We've heard enough about Komodo being the "has everything" trip that we think that's where we're going. I've been reading past Komodo posts, but can't track down some info I know I've read before.

1) What is the best season for a good combination of weather/sea conditions/viz in Komodo? I have heard July-October, or is there some other period?

2) Is there a best big animal season in Komodo? Does it coincide with the answer to question 1)?

3) What is the best season for southern site diving? How does it work with the answers to 1) and 2)? I've read the seas can get a bit wild there, but when are those sites accessible, and what's the biggest attraction?

Our previous two trips to Indonesia have favored macro , and we're looking forward to a good dose of manta,shark, and other big stuff. What's the best way to accomplish that in Komodo? We understand a liveaboard is probably the way to go, which is fine, just trying to nail down the period.

Thanks!

I am alos interested in these question so i will post my exp.

I spent 5 days in Komodo mid Aug last year.
4 days diving in North Park.

Viss was excellent.Guides said this is the best month for viss in the North
Was a little windy, surface conditions- A few white caps.
There were Mantas around but this is not the peak season for them.
I have been told(No personal exp; that weather conditions are not so good in Aug in the Southern area of Komodo. Lots of wind, swell)

If i was going again i would target Jun/Jul.

Thanks Kevster ... didn't want to hear June/July, since our schedule won't let that happen. More opinions out there?

Not sure about viz/marine life but there are generally well defined weather patterns in the tropics. Komodo is south of the equator and should therefore have a Northwest Monsoon from November to March -> this is when the north (and part of the west) side will experience more waves/wind but the south will be calm.
During June to September, the winds should come from the Southeast so the southern part of the island will experience bigger waves and stronger winds, but the north will be calm.
During the rest of the year - conditions should be relatively calm all around.

This seems to jive with what was reported by Kevster above (i.e. calm in the north but rough in the south in August)

If you are looking for calm conditions in the south, I would imagine that the best time should be somewhere between November and May. In April and May it would be probably be possible to dive both the north and the south.

Now that's a lot of information in one post, broadreach ... thanks! But by your reasoning, if April-May is a period of "relative" calm between seasons, then October should be similar ... correct assumption or not?

Do LOB if you can, don't miss out those great dive sites only reachable by boat.

Big fish action, at one shallow dive sites known as Karang Makasar, a friend of mine experienced 2dozen manta action, but we were not as lucky. (they went 2 weeks earlier than us, it was October) If you like snappers, jacks, tunas, humphead and some white tips, yes, you can see them. Can also count in barracudas and giant grouper, could be in small or bigger group.

If you want something bigger, go to Komodo Island and see the dragons ;p

Beware of the currents, up, down, washing machine and toilet flush or just horizontal current. They can be very strong and unpredictable.

Prepare for cold water temperature (20-21 south, 25-26 north) ---> don't know how accurate now.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip.

But by your reasoning, if April-May is a period of "relative" calm between seasons, then October should be similar ... correct assumption or not?

I am not an expert on this by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe that the transition from Southeast to Northwest winds in October/November is less predictable and more frequently subjected to annual fluctuations. So theoretically you could get marvelous weather in October, or get stuck with a late period of strong southeast winds bringing heavy swells to the southern parts, or early northwest winds affecting the north.

Maybe someone here with better local expertise from the Komodo region can comment on that.

I just found some info that may be of help at starfish: dive into the coral reef (underwater photos, information about coral reef animals)- Tauche zum Korallenriff (Unterwasser Fotos, Information über Rifftiere ...

On the left side menu, click on "Dive and Travel" then on "Nusa Tenggara" . While here, there are two good options. Click on "Dive Information", third line down on the "Nusa Tenggara" page. Also click on "Komodo" in the left menu...

Lots of good reading here about dive sites, seasons, curents, temperature, etc.

Our experience of Komodo wind/weather patterns are:
Dry Season:
May/June = Light winds, tending from the East/South East, generally calm seas. Most areas accessible.
July/August = Windiest time of year, with long periods of strong East/South East winds throughout. Southern areas almost inaccessible.
September/October = Light South East winds, generally calm seas, with the occasional windy days. Most areas accessible.
Wet Season;
November/December = Light Winds, tending from North West with occasional strong winds in northern areas. South very calm. Some Rain.
January - March = Peak of wet season, frequent North West winds. Northern areas can be inaccessible. Southern areas very calm. Frequently overcast and raining.
April = Light Winds, but can be raining/overcast. Generally calm in most areas.

We run u/w photo cruises to the area and seek best visibility and sea conditions for our guests. We only run these photo trips in May/June & September/October, as (in our experience and from speaking to various dive guides who have worked for years in the area) these are the best times for good weather. This last year (2008) on our dive trips during July & August the wind was so strong from the East/South-East that hardly any boats managed to get to the southern areas of Rinca for a number of weeks. The northern sites were still fine with very clear water, but the surface was still very choppy.
Pelagics are in Komodo year-round, Manta's are in Komodo year-round, massive schools of fusiliers being chased by jacks and mackeral are in Komodo year-round. The only things that change from month to month are aggregations of breeding animals, ie. some cod (grouper) are found in large numbers in the southern areas during October, and whale sharks are more common in the early and late parts of the wet season (November & April), but still can be seen year-round in lesser numbers.

Jeff -

GREAT HELP!!

Thanks for your info ... looks like we'll be shooting for October, since it's the month with good odds of good conditions that best suits our schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom