Early-mid, or late October trip to Hurghada plus sightseeing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate_W

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I have already booked reward seats with BA for a 2.5 week trip to Egypt starting at the beginning of October. The plan is to dive for about 5 days and then sightsee (Luxor and Cairo). Unfortunately, one of my husband's best friends just sent us a "save the date" card for his wedding, to be held on Oct 11. IF I can reschedule our flights, do you think there will be much difference in dive temperatures, winds, crowds etc in early October versus around Oct 20-25? We are thinking of staying at the Sheraton Al Gouna resort, which I think is somewhat to the north of Hurghada.

I know that the early part of Oct 2009 will be just after the end of Ramadan, so there may be some regional holidaymakers at the hotels and sights in Egypt, but will it be quieter toward the end of the month? Will the disadvantage of somewhat colder water and air temperatures (how much colder) be offset by the advantages of smaller crowds in the water and in Luxor and Cairo. Is it likely to be windier, less predictable later in the month (so that we'd need to budget for some no dive days?) Hotel prices seem to be about the same.

We're Canucks, and I learned to dive in New Zealand, so we're not unaccustomed to coolish temperatures - but I wouldn't want to have to wear a 7mm (and we've never used drysuits before).

Thanks for the advice.

Ramadan will be well over by October and things back to normal, hamdulalla, so you won't have regional tourists around due to this.

October will be great weather with water temp about 27/28 deg C so a 5mm suit will be fine. I did my IDC in Sep/Oct in Hurghada and was diving till Nov in a 3mm shortie! I don't think you will notice much difference between the start of October and the end.

Hughada is always a bit windier than Sharm but at this time of year it will be pleasant.

Luxor and Aswan will be cooler at night but hot during the day and this is really the best time to visit this part of Egypt. The downside is that there will be more tourists but not enough to spoil your visit.

Hope you have a super trip.

Hey Kate.

You will have a fantastic time here in Hurghada either way. Late September to mid November is the absolute peak season here so when it comes to how crowded it is it'll make no difference. The temperature is about the same that time of year in the air and in the water. And very pleasant indeed.

Ramadan ends around September 20th. Of course some locals may still be on holiday but
that won't effect your stay in Egypt at all. Even during Ramadan it's mainly us who live here who notice the difference.

This is also the perfect time of the year to visit Luxor. In the summer months it's way too warm. I've been there in August and even me who is totally acclimatised after almost 10 years in this country think it's a bit too warm then. Cairo is always good! (I love Cairo) Even if you don't have to worry as much about the heat there it's still nicer if it's not too sticky. If you're going on your own with local bus and avoid the tourist excursion I have all the info on where to stay and where to have breakfast and so on... Wicked place to explore on your own...

Hurghada/El Gouna? Yeah the answer is easy for me. I don't like El Gouna at all. It's too much Mickey Mouse (gated Comunity) for me. You can stay a year in El Gouna without having been to Egypt. You guys sound like you're interested in the country since you plan to go to Luxor and Cairo... If it's the good hotel you want you can also get that in Hurghada and when you leave the hotel complex you will actually walk around in Egypt, not plastic version of the country. Stay out of El Gouna and visit the genuine Egypt. You have Marriott, Intercontinental, Steigenberger, Hilton Plaza (but not Hilton Long Beach) Arabia and more that you'd be very happy with. If you have questions regarding a hotel you're thinking about you can send me an email and I'll check it out for you.

In any case, there you have some info... If you need more you can find some on my website WELCOME TO AZIAB If you click on "Yearly Cycle" you find info regarding temperatures, weather and wind plus what goes on in the marine life at different times of the year. If you click on "Hurghada" you find info on what to do when you're not diving like restaurants and nightlife. If you click on "Contact Aziab" you'll find my email address. Feel free to send me a mail and ask all the questions you can come up with and I'll try to answer.

You say you're Canucks? Does that mean you're from Vancover? I have family there... he he he...

Hope you'll have a nice trip. Let me know when you're on your way and I'll take you out for a beer.

cheers
...a...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom