Transmitter and Octopus Mounting ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
I'm currently getting my PADI certification and just purchased some of my diving equipment and the PADI book says to have the octopus and transmitter installed by a dive shop, what do you guys think. Should I have the LDS screw in a transmitter and an Octopus to my first stag. How hard can this be, do they take any extra steps do extra testing or something that would make you consider taking it to a LDS.

Thanks.

Did you buy new or used regulators, and an air integrated computer/transmitter? I'm guessing new from your question - do you know any experienced divers who could show you how to do this, and test your regulators?

It would be best if you could have someone show you how to do this in person with you, rather than front up at your class (presumably being run through a dive shop) with equipment you've bought elsewhere that needs assembly - unfortunately you've chosen the best course of action to annoy the crap out of the shop you're diving with - many shops count on post-certification gear sales to students to help stay in business. Showing up to an open water certification class with regulators and computer bought off the internet WILL p*ss them off. That being said, I'm all for saving money where possible.

Get a quote from them before letting them put the gear together, and then get a quote from another shop - be aware that unscrupulous dive shops would use this opportunity to gouge you. This is assembly and testing that any competant diver should be able to do, so if you know an experienced diver, get them how to show you how to do it for free.

The risk you run with attempting this yourself and showing up to OW with untested regs is that something will go wrong - eg the intermediate pressure on the first stage not set correctly, faulty diaphragm in the second stage, a hose not correctly installed leading to an o-ring extruding, etc. The regs need to be assembled, put on a tank of air, and tested for both hose join integrity and cracking pressure to ensure they don't freeflow.

Long-winded answer I know, but try and find someone who can show you how to do this stuff yourself.

While you're at it - fill in your profile details - there may be a ScubaBoarder in your vicinity who could show you this stuff.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anybody locally but I called the LDS and they were really nice and said they would charge me $10 dollars.

Sounds good to me.

z28pwr once bubbled...
Thanks for the info. I couldn't find anybody locally but I called the LDS and they were really nice and said they would charge me $10 dollars.

Sounds good to me.
That's very good - othes on ScubaBoard have reported up to $150 for "new reg assembly and testing"! Kind of like a tax for buying stuff elsewhere. Glad to see they didn't get upset over it.

A couple of divers over on DiveOz (Australian website) just reported that they'd been kicked out of their local shop's dive club, because they'd bought gear from another store :rolleyes: Some store owners get weird over people buying from elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom