Anybody used a Scubapro Glide Star?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMar

Registered
Reaction score
This message is a bit long winded but I'd appreciate if you would bear with me as I need some help.

On finishing my PADI OW course last Autumn I decided to buy some gear as I was really enjoying diving and had signed up to do a AOW course this spring. I had been using a weight belt but found it uncomfortable so I decided to try a weight integrated BCD. My instructor also does equipment sales, so I priced up all my gear with him and was very happy with the quote. He gave me choices on most of the gear but the only weight integrated BCD he carried at the time was a Subacqua Elite so I made the rest of my choices and went ahead and purchased.
I have since made about 10 dives and have been very happy with all my gear and I found weight integration was the way for me, except... I haven't been very confident in the particular BCD I purchased as the weight pockets are only held in by velcro.

The reason I am anxious is a couple of dives in with my new gear one of the weight pockets fell out of the at aboout 12m, thanks to an excellent buddy and both of us keeping our cool we were able to retrieve the weight and put it back in the pocket before finishing our dive. I know that it might have snagged on something during the dive or maybe the velcro was not perfeclty flat when I set up ( even though I thought it was in OK ), but I feel in no way should the weight pockets come out unless I or my buddy wants them to. The truth is I have lost confidence in the jacket.

Last weekend when diving with my instructor on my AOW navigation dive he sensed that I was off about something and I told him that I just wasn't confident in my BCD anymore, I had mentioned to him after the incident that I was a bit nervous because of it, but we had decided to see if it was someting that would pass with time.

Well here is where an excellent LDS story starts, my instructor told me he would take back the BCD and fully refund me its value, which I could use against any BCD of my choice from one of his 4 suppliers if I would do a little research on their web sites to see which one I wanted. I was delighted with this and set about the task with gusto and and have finally arrived at the Scubapro Glide Star.

Sorry for being so longwinded in my story, but I just wanted to give some background before asking for some advice on my decison as I feel its a very important one.

Does anybody out there use a Glide Star or know anything about one?

By the way I think Scuba Board is fantastic, especially for new divers both experiences and help.

Thanks
DiveMar

Dont know where you have been diving....the ocean is the toughest on velcro....but try the following.

Get a plastic brush and clean your velcro very well after each dive regardless if it is in the ocean or fresh water.

Also, you may be putting just too much weight in the pouches.

If cleaning the velcro really well does not help....and you have to have a lot of weight....you might consider going with a weight harness. That will take the weight off your hips and lower back and put it on your shoulders plus distribute it better.

I have an integrated bcd as well and have not had any trouble with the velcro. You might check the velcro and compare it against some other bcds. There is different qualities of velcro on the market.

Good luck!!

I have them on my BCD, and haven't had any problems...but I do check their positioning carefully before my dives. Seeing your location, one thing comes to mind --- are you diving with a lot of neoprene or a drysuit? Are you trying to put too much weight in the pockets? Maybe you should consider splitting it up or look for a steel tank.
Does the Glidestar have some kind of additional release? You should ask to try it - maybe in the pool - to see what you think of it.

A bit more information

I have done all my diving in the Ocean which can be quite cold in the South West of Ireland even in the Summer, so I have a 7mm semi-dry.
I use 20 Ib weight, 10 Ib in each pocket which I know is almost the max. recommended for most integrated systems, but still I don't think its too much. I would be grateful for any advice on this.

The problem with the Subacqua Elite pouches and the actual pockets is there just isn't enough Velcro for a very secure hold, and it has made me nervous. I am a very relaxed diver and have really enjoyed all my dives so far including low vis and short cold ones, I just love being in the water, but on my last couple of dives I have been constantly checking that my weight pockets are OK and not about to slip out, I guess I've had a bit of a fright.

The Scubapro integrated system has velcro flapped pouches which are inserted into pockets which are secured with 50mm fast open buckles. My instructor uses this system and is very happy that it is secure. Once the buckels are closed properly they will have to be deliberatley opened, but if they must be opened it is easy even with gloves.

Unfortunately as my instructor/ supplier only orders in goods as he needs them ( he runs a small dive gear operation ) I won't be able to try the jacket until he gets it in for me. I would like to try it first but I do know if there is any major problem he will sort it out for me. I was hoping to get a jacket that really works for me without having to send it back.

Thanks to all of you for the advice, I look forward to reading some more opinions. This board is a fantastic opportunity to get advice when you live in an area where there are not alot of divers living especially not alot of female divers ( Thankfully we do get alot of visiting divers ).

DiverMar

I don't know what a ScubaPro Glide BC is for sure, but I use a ScubaPro Classic with the integrated weight system. Mine has the same pocket system you desribed. I have not had any problems with my system. I have practiced releasing the pockets as you must get the feel for grasping and pulling the buckles. It is much simpler than most think. On my BC there is a slide belt that tightens the weight pocket into the side pocket once inserted and buckled. Be sure to tighten or as you dive the weights will start to slide forward and out they will remain attached to the buckle so you would not loose them they will dangle and hit your legs.

Good advice on the steel tanks too. I use steel and have been able to use less weight in my pockets.

but the model is a plus, if that makes a difference. The weights couldn't fall out accidentally in a million years if it is assembled correctly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom