Expected life of Ikelite's Flash Tubes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Now with the release of the new DS-160 I'm now able to afford a used DS-125 which I'm now seeing plenty available. Aside from the natural demise over time of the rechargeable NiCad or NiMH batteries, Should I be concerned with having to replace the flash tube due to age or use? Do they eventually die and diminish with time/use? Assuming it's never been flooded and it currently works, are there any other issues I should be concerned about with buying a used DS-125 one?

Thanks in advance.

Generally the flashtube should be fine unless the strobe has been dropped or severely jarred. Depending on its age, it may not have many of the updates we made to the DS125 over the years to improve the strobe. You may want to check the serial number for TTL compatibility (see SubStrobe Requirements for Newer TTL Digital Cameras).

Also I would avoid the original style body, which was not as strong by design. On the "inside" of the strobe front (with the battery removed) there is a central retaining ring that the the battery pack latches onto. This was originally a black piece glued onto the gray body, which could weaken over time. Strobes made within the past 4 1/2 years feature a completely gray body with this piece molded in.

Any used strobe can be returned for evaluation, testing, and possibly updates. There will be charges associated so make sure your letter specifically requests a complete repair estimate before proceeding with the work.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the quick response and info. The serial number checks out as does the body design/style. It's comforting to know that the flash tube won't be an issue as long as it's working and handled with care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom