nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
I am taking a nitrox course in May bought the book and tables-"PADI". Have been reading the book and looking at the questions. Here is my problem how can you work the problems in metric when you have imperial tables and how do you work a nitrox mix that is not 32% or 36% and they want you to use 30% etc? And your tables are 32& 36 I have heard of the wheel does this cover that gap? Or should I wait till the class to ask the ?'s...

There should be both imperial and metric questions in your PADI book. Along with your 32% and 36% RDP you should have a DSAT planner, you would use that card to figure calculations between 30 -40%. You can also use the formula's in the book to do the same thing regardless of the O2%.

I have writen the equations in the back of my log book. I also have the Naui wheel along with their Air table. You absolutely need to know fundamentals but to make life easier (and safer), you gotta invest on a Nitrox computer.

:mean:

You'll learn in your course the concept of an EAD - Equivalent Air Depth. You can use tables or the formula to determine an EAD for a given depth and nitrox mix. You then use the EAD and an air table to compute mixes other than 32 or 36.

There are metric and imperial versions of the nitrox tables and DSAT planner card. The study questions in the book are presented in both imperial and metric. They are similar but not necessarily exactly the same since there is some rounding of units that provides minor differences.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
You'll learn in your course the concept of an EAD - Equivalent Air Depth. You can use tables or the formula to determine an EAD for a given depth and nitrox mix. You then use the EAD and an air table to compute mixes other than 32 or 36.

Instead of equivalent AIR depth, this is an equivalent NITROX depth table: http://www.gooddiving.com/Doc/EquivalentNitrox.pdf .

It goes in the reverse direction of the more common EAD tables and gives equivalent nitrox depth for even 10' increments of air depth. This works a lot better for planning nitrox dives using an Air NDL table.

Charlie

domino22 once bubbled...
I am taking a nitrox course in May bought the book and tables-"PADI". Have been reading the book and looking at the questions. Here is my problem how can you work the problems in metric when you have imperial tables and how do you work a nitrox mix that is not 32% or 36% and they want you to use 30% etc? And your tables are 32& 36 I have heard of the wheel does this cover that gap? Or should I wait till the class to ask the ?'s...

You'll discover in the course that you don't need any special nitrox tables at all. You can do it all with a couple of simple formulas and either the wheel or the normal RDP.

The 32% and 36% tables are intended to simplify things for use with "standard" mixes but in my experience the only thing standard about those mixes is that what you get is hardly ever what you requested. Maybe in the USA the quality is better but in Europe buying the standard tables is a waste of money.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom