Scuba pro tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

egdinger

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at a used tank for real good deal, the guy says they are scuba pro brand, and they are 73Cuft with a pressure rating of 2500. I can't find any info really on scuba pro tanks, other than they were made by faber. Seems like an odd size/pressure to me, any thoughts?

They seem like a very odd pressure and size to me as well. Is it aluminum or steel? It's very odd(to me) that it is rated for 2500 PSI. I don't know about the tank, I think I might hold off until you see something else.

I should mention that they are steel tanks, but a lp steel is 2400, and lp+ 2460. If the guy is confused these are a steal (no pun intended) at the price, $35 a piece, and the hydro is current.

Scubapro like other companies sold steel 72's made by PST and other companies with SP vavles attached. But to my knowledge none were ever stamped Scubapro, so it is both impossible and pointless to try to identify or even define a scubapro steel 72.

In the 1980's and 1990's Scubapro sold Faber tanks including the fairly common 2400/2640 psi 95, as well as the less common 3000/3300 psi steel 72 (substantially shorter than a generic steel 72, but the same diameter), and a not very common 2400/2640 psi 75.8 (basically a steel 72 with the slightly higher service pressure rating). There was also I think a "slimline" tank in the 72 cu ft range that was something like 6.5" in diameter rather than 6.9" and taller than their otherwise fairly short 72. I don't recall the pressure for sure but I think it was also 2400/2640 psi.

All of the Faber tanks were stamped both Faber and Scubapro. They were initally available in a hot dipped galvanized finsish and later came with either black or white paint with scuba pro graphics applied over the top of a hot dipped gavalnized finish.

My thoughts are that if the tank is not stamped "scubapro" or Faber, but just has an SP valve, it is a generic steel 72. If it is stamped "faber" or "Scubapro" it will be one of the tanks listed above.

If it has a 3000 psi pressure rating it is most likely the Faber 72. If it is steel 72 sized but has a 2400 psi service pressure it is probably a 75.8. If it is 25 1/8" in circumference (8" diameter) with a 2400 psi pressure it is probably a 95.

I have 4 of those tanks and DA is accurate in his information. I have them doubled up as 2 sets of doubles and they are very nice tanks indeed. Got them brand new in '89 and they are still going strong. Sometimes you have to point out the slightly different working pressure on the tanks to the fill station as they look just like the ol' 72.

Jeff

Most likely it is a steel LP 72, approx. 6.9 inch diameter. Pressure rating with a + is 2,475 psi, otherwise 2,250 psi. Those are excellent tanks. I have a couple of them. Great for singles diving at intermediate depths and great for doubling up.

We sold a lot of those tanks at the retail dive equipment store I worked at. N

If they say 3AA 2250, they're probably steel 72s. I just bought three of those for about $50 each shipped, out of hydro. Two of mine are galvanized, but all three are painted. They're off at hydro now, where the guy is supposedly searching for the REE number from PST so he can give them the plus rating. If anyone has some info on how he might get the official REE # from PST, I'd appreciate it.

If you know for a fact that the service pressure is 2500 or that they were made by faber, DA's info is undoubtedly on the money, no surprise there.

Wow, I just went out and looked at my old 72+ which reads "2250". Manufacture date is 9-78 - and even has an old, still function, j-valve!!! And it has passed each of it's hydros since. OOPS - last hydro was 11-03, so it's overdue (a bit).

For the last few years I have been using this cylinder to power my air horn on my ocean sport fishing boat. I fill it up with my HP/3442s and never use it for breathing. This one tank lasts all season - even with the kids who we give boat rides up the river (honking away - I know it's "naughty"). Maybe I won't re-hydro it (bet it would pass) and just keep it for honking.

My point of posting is to tell you that these steel cylinders last a long time and have outlasted a few of my aluminum cylinders that I've donated to my LDS for windchimes. :)

I love my HP/3442 80s and 100s (Worthington & PST).

drdaddy

DA Aquamaster:
There was also I think a "slimline" tank in the 72 cu ft range that was something like 6.5" in diameter rather than 6.9" and taller than their otherwise fairly short 72. I don't recall the pressure for sure but I think it was also 2400/2640 psi.

Slim 72s, at 3300 PSI they are 71.4 cu ft, working pressure is 3000 PSI. I have two of them.

Back
Top Bottom