Boracay no-fishing zone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HomelessDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
GMANews - Boracay waters now off-limits to fishers

....The local government of Malay town in Aklan provnce has declared the waters surrounding the world famous resort island of Boracay permanently off-limits to fishing activities.....

....Report said that fishermen from nearby provinces such as Masbate, Antique and Romblon have been encroaching within the sea off Boracay to fish..

Yea right, good luck with that. It's the local guys, not some mysterious ghost fleet from nearby. Actually, whoever came up with that idea should be publicly humiliated because Boracay IS overfished. Theres gotta be way better fishing in those areas. We were at Crocodile once, (which is extremely close to the shore but still good diving) and the guys were right there, dropping hooked lines off the boats. Exactly where people are diving. LDS Opr called the coastguard,response: "no, theres no one fishing at Crocodile" (as we waited in the boat for 30 minutes for someone to arrive, and were still on scene).

Theres fish to be seen but nothing on the scale as there should be in this area. Lucky to see a shark once every 2 weeks of daily diving. Even the well known no-fish areas like dive sites, I still find rebar weights with longline small hooks.

Anyway, I was down by Red Pirates this morning where a dozen smaller fishing boats stay in front of an empty lot - sure enough, the morning catch was getting parceled out into buckets and onto poles. And to these guys, nothing is sacred from the hook/net. Just open any NatGeo sealife picture book and these guys sell it. Few months ago: I was telling friends about a massive sponge crap I'd just seen on a night dive (near shore) .... .... ... guy asks where I'd seen it, and I almost didnt realize it wasnt one of my friends but one of the locals.

Guess it's gonna be a hard push to enforce this since almost all the resorts buy their fish from the locals.

I was in Boracay in 2002, and my wife bought a bucket full of tiny fish from a local on the beach. The bucket contained teh school of striped catfish I had seen at 45fsw the previous day, as well as other colorful 'aquarium' fish. There were few fish larger than 6 inches seen underwater.
I hope this law works and restores the area. :depressed:

oh man, I love those striped catfish schools! I used to always follow and move my hands thru them since they're pretty docile - after a year of that, THEN I found out about the poison in their barbs. haha! Lucky me, never got pricked.

Back
Top Bottom