Reasonable transportation from Manila to Puerto Galera/Sabang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjjj111

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be flying into Manila airport. I will be going to a dive operation in Puerto Galera/Sabang. I assume these are the same place.

I understand that Puerto Galera is about a 2 hour car ride and then about a 45 minute boat ride to Puerto Galera from Manila.

What is a reasonable cost to expect to pay for transportation between the 2 locations?

Any company or outfit you can suggest to pick us up at the airport and get us to Puerto Galera?

Thanks.

RJ, Puerto-Galera (the city) and Sabang are 2 different places. Puerto galera is also the name of the Barangay (the locality) in which Sabang is situated. The actual city of Puerto galera is a bout 20 minutes by jeepney from Sabang... So when you take the ferry (Bangka) from Batangas, make sure it is to "Sabang" and not Puerto Galera...

The cheapest way to get there, as has been told before, is Bus (I used the JAM bus from "Passay") to Batangas Pier (about 350 PP) then the ferry from Batangas to Sabang (about 400PP). If you take a private car from manila to Batangas, it is going to be much more expensive... probably 100$ or more... There are probably other ways to get there, but this is the one I used without a problem and probably the cheapest...
Cheers!:coffee:

Thanks CODMAN
i was trying to get to El Galleon, which is in Puerto Galera, right?

I was re-reading a post of yours talking about Sabang also, so i got confused and thought the 2 places were basically the same.

i see directions on their website. how easy is it to get there where you have never gone there to start with?

does this sound about right?

Public transport Boat or Ferry
For the ‘seasoned traveller'
Not convenient or easy if you have luggage
Cheapest option.
Catch a regular aircon bus from Manila (BLTB or JAM bus stations in Pasay) to Batangas Port (approx. P150) where local boats and ferries run to Sabang, Puerto Galera and Balateros
If you arrive at either Puerto Galera or Balateros you will need to get a bangka boat to the Point, Small Lalaguna (about P200– 400)

i also saw this..... have you ever gotten these shots?

No malaria in the area, but inoculations for Hep A, Typhoid, Polio and Tetanus are recommended, always check with your doctor.

yes taht is correct for the transport! El Galeon, which I believe is the hotel for asia divers, is in small Lalaguna! Which is right next door to Sabang! Imagine it like this. 3 consecutive beaches along the coastline, each about 700m-1 km long. First is Sabang. As you reach the end of sabang beach, there is the point (rock outcropping which is where el-galeon is) which separates Sabang from small Lalaguna beach. You walk to the end of small lalaguna (about 1km) and there is another rock outcropping you need to walk over (maybe 50m). Then your in Big lalaguna. These 3 beaches (about 3km long) are all within about 50 m of each other. that where all the diving is.The town of Puerto galera is further up the coast. Maybe 20 minutes by road... Does that make things clearer for you?

As for the shots... I don,t think they are needed, but it,s your call! If you want to play it safe, get them...

Thanks CODMAN
i was trying to get to El Galleon, which is in Puerto Galera, right?

I was re-reading a post of yours talking about Sabang also, so i got confused and thought the 2 places were basically the same.

i see directions on their website. how easy is it to get there where you have never gone there to start with?

does this sound about right?

Public transport Boat or Ferry
For the ÁÔeasoned traveller'
Not convenient or easy if you have luggage
Cheapest option.
Catch a regular aircon bus from Manila (BLTB or JAM bus stations in Pasay) to Batangas Port (approx. P150) where local boats and ferries run to Sabang, Puerto Galera and Balateros
If you arrive at either Puerto Galera or Balateros you will need to get a bangka boat to the Point, Small Lalaguna (about P200 400)

yes, this makes better sense.

so i need to go to Small Lalaguna and not Puerto Galera.

the instructions say go from Batangas Port to either Puerto Galera or Balateros.

so i guess there is no direct way from Batangas Port to Small Lalaguna? correct?

rj, so you are staying with El-Galeon and diving with Asia divers? If so, yes they are situated in small Lalaguna, not Puerto Galera town. So avoid the ferry (bangka) that brings you to Puerto Galera. the ones going from Batangas to Sabang will drop you off much closer to the resort. Then as you get off the Bangka, there will be tons of porters willing to carry your luggage to your resort. And trying to convince you to stay with another one they get kickbacks from...:rofl3:

If you have no other choice, you can take a ferry to Pueto galera... But then you need to either take another ferry from there to small lalaguna... Or take a Jeepney to Sabang, and then a porter to the resort...

Hope this helps!:coffee:

CODMAN, i feel like i have my on tour guide with you.

thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just trying to help out a bit, as all the PPDers do here! They helped me out so much when I was planning my trip it's natural that I give back a little and contribute to what is probably the best forum on Scuba board! Helping others out si what it's all about!:coffee: Remember it and feel free help out when you feel you can contribute something usefull!

Cheers! You don't know it yet but you are going to have a ball in Sabang... OK, maybe you do know it...:D

Yes, I think I will have a great time in Sabang....I may come for a couple of days and stay for a week. It sounds like my kind of place. Is there anything else definitely I need to go do while in Philippines? I just found out about the whale sharks in Donsol, so already being in the Philippines and being that close I am going to make a special trip to Donsol just to do that.

I also plan to go whale shark snorkeling in Donsol and go to Pearl Farm Beach Resort in near Davao City on Samal Island. So I have a lot planned....

Have you ever been to Donsol or seen the whale sharks there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom