Today's run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just got back from running and I'm quite satisfied with the progress I'm making coming back from my heart arrhythmia.

I've never been a really quick runner but before my "problem" I was running the 10k in about 50 minutes.

Since starting again I've mostly been running 5 or 8k runs and using the cross trainer to get back some basic level of fitness. Today I decided to run 10k and see how it went.

It was a bit windy today and I ran the first 5k into a cold force 4 headwind but I went with what my wife calls a "sukkeldrafje" which basically translates into a wimp tempo (slow jog).

After 5k I turned around to run the same route back again and I had the wind in my back. I was playing a Fatboy Slim album on the mp3 and just then it started saying "if this don't make your booty move .. your booty must be dead"

It all started coming together. Good running music, the wind in my back and I was feeling pretty good so I put my shoulders under it and pushed the tempo on the 2nd half and finished the 10k in just under an hour.

Given the deep point I've ben through, a very satisfying result.

:chicken:

R..

Last edited:
Wonderful!

I don't remember knowing you had an arrythmia....

I had a congential problem that only manifested itself about five years ago (AVNRT) and had an abblation. I still have a pesky sinus arrythmia that hits me once a month only if I skip exercise.

I notice if I workout 3-4 times weekly and stay hydrated (atrial filling pressures stay adequate) then I never have any issues.

I prefer cycling (15-20 miles, with a *Marine drill seargent*)and like using my Garmin HR monitor. If I use an I-pod I use only one ear bud, just so I can hear the bus that almost hit me.:wink:

It's great to know you are in control of a health issue, huh?

Wonderful!

I don't remember knowing you had an arrythmia....

That's why I suddenly disappeard for a while.

Looks like things are back on the rails though. :)

I didn't know you had a heart problem...... scary eh?

R..

BTW, I wear both earphones. I don't want to know.... :) That and Holland is ideal for running. There are bicycle paths everywhere so you don't have to run in traffic.

R..

Yes, there is just something profoundly depressing about ticker problems.

Even though mine wasn't serious, I was convinced I was going to die and starting doing all these dangerous things, trying to be in control and all.

Exercise helps your attitude to such a very large degree, the best anti-depressant in the world.

I looked up that thing you said you had. The symptoms sound similar to what I had. In my case it was just a "run of the mill", nevertheless very frightening, sinus tachycardia most likely caused by red-lining my stress-o-meter at work and getting physically exhausted from it. It took a good couple of months of R&R before it started to calm down....

R..

Back
Top Bottom