Suuto Vytec vs. air integrated Oceanic computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any comments concerning Suunto computers (I'm mainly thinking of the Vytec vs. air integrated hoseless or with hose Pelagic-type computers???

I am trying to decide between the new Oceanic VT Pro vs. the Suunto Vytec.

Mainly, I suspect the algorithms on the Suuntos might be safer for my middle aged body, but I find the Oceanics to have a much more intuitive display.

Can someone shed some light??

ET

Doc - if being able to download info from your computer to your desktop is important - don't buy an Oceanic/Aeris/Genesis computer as the software is a joke.

See my latest review of Aeris dive software...

zboss once bubbled...
Doc - if being able to download info from your computer to your desktop is important - don't buy an Oceanic/Aeris/Genesis computer as the software is a joke.

See my latest review of Aeris dive software...

And where do I find your review?

Potential problems I have with the Suuntos are:

1. Display is small, boring and difficult to read for my middle aged presbytopic eyes. as opposed to the more colorful and intuitive Oceanic displays, which have bar graphs for both N2 and O2. I'm not sure what to look at on the Suunto display during the dive. On the Oceanics, I look at the N2 and O2 bar graphs and my remaining dive time, which on those computers is the lesser of a) air time remaining at current consumption, and b) NDC.

2. All the other members of my family will be using Oceanics, as we will buy the new computers for us and hand down the Oceanic DataMax Pro Pluses to the "kids".

I agree that the OceanLog software leaves something to be desired, but my main concern is working with my computer during a dive.

There is a Dr. Deco thread which is very much on point regarding your concern as to whether move conservative computers provide additional safety. One of the conclusions is that with a liberal computer you can always back off using the bar graph. On the Oceanic I believe it is even possible to set an alarm based on the bar graph position.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t19291/s.html

Something you might think about:

Doc, you mentioned in another theread that up to now you have been using Oceanic or Aeris compuers. If you have lots of dives and have not taken a hit yet, what conclusion would you be able to draw about the algorithm used by your computer? I see people diving all the time with old hockey puck shaped Pelagic computers, some of whom are in their 60's and 70's. It is no guarantee, but none of them have been bent.

leadweight once bubbled...

Doc, you mentioned in another theread that up to now you have been using Oceanic or Aeris compuers. If you have lots of dives and have not taken a hit yet, what conclusion would you be able to draw about the algorithm used by your computer? I see people diving all the time with old hockey puck shaped Pelagic computers, some of whom are in their 60's and 70's. It is no guarantee, but none of them have been bent.

I am 56 years old. I try to keep up with some sort of fitness within the confines of my bad knees, back and feet. I do 30-40 minutes on my Elliptical about 4-5 days a week, sometimes substituting 1-1/2 miles of flippering with mask and snorkel in a pool, and 11 different muscle groups on my Bowflex 3 days a week (just started 2 weeks ago).

Sometimes I get a bit achey after a dive, but I am achey alot anyway in my normal life condition. I feel better on Nitrox. I have good air consumption in that in a group of 25 people doing roughly the same dive profile, I come up within the last 5 divers. But, though I am advanced open water certified and Nitrox certified, I am still a novice in that I only have about 45 dives under my belt. Haven't gotten bent that I know of yet, but with only 45 dives, not sure how reassured I should be.

DivingDoc once bubbled...
Anyone have any comments concerning Suunto computers....
I am trying to decide between the new Oceanic VT Pro vs. the Suunto Vytec.

Mainly, I suspect the algorithms on the Suuntos might be safer for my middle aged body, but I find the Oceanics to have a much more intuitive display.

The Oceanics implement the time tested PADI/DSAT/Dr Deco algorithm. While a tad bit more liberal than the Suunto model, I find that the Oceanics realtime display of compartment loading allows me to adjust my profiles as desired. The Suunto on the other hand, while calculating more conservative NDL's, has a bargraph that shows I'm "in the green" when in fact I'm very loaded.

There are simulators on the Suunto and Oceanicworldwide websites that you could use to compare.

Here's a comparison of a simple 70' 30 minute dive on the Suunto Vyper and Oceanic Data Plus simulators. (30fpm to 70', 10fpm ascent starting at 30 min runtime).

At 30 minutes Suunto showed 7 min NDL, Oceanic showed 10 min NDL.
On the bargraphs Oceanic was in the yellow zone, 14 bars of 15. The Suunto showed 10 bars out of the 11 or 12 on its "CBT" bargraph. The Consumed Bottom Time is just a graphical display of the NDL time. The Oceanic TLBG is a graphical representation of the N2 loading in the leading compartment. Suunto shows this display in the Dive Manager program, but not on the computer itself.

THE BIG DIFFERENCE is upon ascending a bit. At 30', the Oceanic is still in the yellow zone, with 14 out of 15 bars still lit. The Suunto however, has backed way into the green zone, showing just 1 bar of 11. The Oceanic is doesn't clear to the green (12th bar of 15) until going to 15' safety stop and hanging for 4 minutes. The Suunto has cleared ALL bars on it's CBT display at 20', even before starting a safety stop.

The Oceanic more clearly tells you that your tissues are heavily loaded and that you should do a stop, while the Suunto bargraph says "all clear".

Until I can get the Suunto algorithm with the Oceanic bargraph I'll stick with the Oceanics.

YMMV.

Charlie

I have the Cobra and when I use it(just mostly on dive trips) the first thing I say is: Huh?

It always takes me a while to remember how to operate the display. I do not find it intuitive. And that would be my bigeest gripe.

The Oceanic VT pro sounds to be a more intuitive design. It is also cheaper at LeisurePro than the Vytec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom