Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jed+4

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been thinking of this Is it a hard corse and what to expect when taking it

Jed-
I think the rescue diver course was the best course. It is really the first step in being concerned with other divers and identifying stresses. You'll get to work awesome scenarios and it will be physically tasking, depending on your health level. This class in my opinion, outside of diving frequently, is the best way to really improve your diving skills. I had a really tough DM during the panic diver scenario. I hated him at the time, however now I would thank him immensely. Coupled with the EFR class it will give you a strong basis to continue into the professional ranks if you choose. I say go for it!! We need more rescue divers, and safety divers depending on the scenario, in the world. Good luck my friend!

Last edited:
I agree, it's possibly the best course, especially if you have a demanding instructor. One nice thing is that the certification is meaningless, in the sense that it won't open any doors, and the only benefit to the course is the skill and knowledge gained.

Take it to become a better diver, to challenge yourself and grow. I was lucky, I took the course when the sea was choppy so we had a bit of surge, plus my instructor weighed half again what I do. As a result some of the surface rescue excercises were a bit tougher than they might otherwise have been. It was really satisfying to find I could singlehandedly get someone out of the water and onto a pier under those conditions. (Though, with any luck I'll never have to do it for real).

I'm looking to take it this summer. Everyone I spoke to who has taken it has said it is was the best diving course they have ever taken. Common comment -- improved both diving skills and confidence while diving.

It is a course that will challenge you - I'd hesitate to call it "hard" (implying that some might not be able to do it). It is a course everyone can do with proper training and application.

It's not uncommon for new divers to go straight from OWD -> AOWD -> Rescue.

It is a course that will challenge you - I'd hesitate to call it "hard" (implying that some might not be able to do it). It is a course everyone can do with proper training and application.

It's not uncommon for new divers to go straight from OWD -> AOWD -> Rescue.

I took it last summer. It was a tough course to get through for me. If I had to do it again I would do it in a heartbeat. I loved the challenge and despite how hard our instructor worked us we all had a lot of fun at the same time.

Totally worth it. You learn a lot and as said above adds to your diving knowledge.

I'm taking it this summer with my son. My husband got us each the class for Christmas. Everybody I have spoken with says it's the the most useful and the most fun class they have ever taken. I'm looking foward to it!

Don't look at it as a pass fail course, but rather a learning experience. It may be tough for you, maybe not, but there is a lot of great information and experience to learn. All courses have some degree of difficultly, that is why we take them. If they where simple, what would the point be?

By all means take the class. Good luck and enjoy it.:wink:

Speaking from an instructor's perspective - it's also a lot of fun for us to teach! :D

It's not difficult, especially if you approach it right, but it can be a lot of hard work and physically quite challenging. I always say to my students "if you still like me by the end of day 2 (of a three day course), I'm not doing my job right!"

Good luck to you Jed - it it a great course and it will improve your dive skills immensely.

C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom