Subic's Secret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stvbrit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Checked out LST 46 lately? Wev'e got a local secret that will start your adrenaline pumping for sure , big fish, sharp teeth, bad attitude!! Contact Dante or Jason at Boardwalk Dive Center for details. Subic Rocks!!

Dive at Boardwalk Dive Center Official Website -

I own a set of fins that bear the TITAN TRIGGERFISH bite! Those suckers can be pretty mean!

My fins have nicks not skid marks! LOLOLOLOL :D:rofl3:

Off topic, apologies:

Can anyone explain the origin of the name "Subic bay"?

Off topic, apologies:

it's not on wikipedia...........

no idea... but the city it's in Olongapo comes from "ulo ng apo" or head of the chief...

something to do with some tribal wars and the head of the rival chief displayed for all to see...

Jag

Off topic, apologies:

Google is your friend... :cool2:

"Subic" was derived from the native word "hubek", which means "head of a plow". The origin of the name was a by-product of altruistic colonial enterprise.

On a bright day in 1542, Juan de Salcedo, the able Spanish conquistador and dashing grandson of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, founded Subic while collecting tributes in the area. The town's name at that time is Hubek. How this name was changed to Subic is the stuff of persistent legend. It tells of Salcedo's mispronouncing "Hubek" as "Subiq". By the time of the American occupation of Subic, the Yankees mispronounced "Subiq" into "Subig".

Later on "Subig" became "Subiq" again, but the letter q - apparently of Spanish origin - was replaced with letter c, hence the name "Subic".

Subic.Com : Official Website

Wrong guess, it's not Tritan trigerfish........

Back
Top Bottom