Sulawesi for a vegan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After much time in the Caribbean, I want some variety in marine life and want to head to the Pacific. Specifically, I was looking at North Sulawesi (Lembeh Strait and Bunaken). My dive buddy and daughter happens to be a vegan. How difficult will meals be in this area? We'll probably choose either KBR or Lembeh Resort for Lembeh and haven't researched enough for places to stay at Bunaken.

As long as the meal preferences are clearly stated, I would think no problems in either location. It could possibly turn out to be a introduction to new possibilities in vegan fare. Simply my opinion as someone who appreciates healthy food, and has spent a very limited time in the areas you mention. Although vegetarian/vegan might be a bit foreign to the cooks, they sure know how to prepare a tasty dish with rice, noodles, and vegetables. And the diving is not bad...

Bottom line, contact your chosen dive resort and inform them of your needs. If they cannot provide, continue looking. You will find what you need.

As Kupu has said you should be fine as long as you tell them in advance. KBR and Lembeh Resort are quite upmarket and vegetarian/vegan shouldn't be new to their cooks. What I can say is that food at KBR is generaly great and according to people who have been at both resorts better than at Lembeh Resort.
On Bunaken you won't find equally upmarket resorts so I would recommend checking Kima Bajo Resort instead (mainland opposite of Bunaken) or - my personal favourite - Gangga Island Resort from where you can dive all of the main areas in North Sulawesi (Bunaken, Bangka, Lembeh).

I am vegetarian and had no problem with meal in four one month trips to northern Sulawesi. .

There is always rice, noodles, bread, fresh and cooked vegetables, fresh fruits, great french fires.

They make an excellent fresh hot chile and tomato "salsa." As a breakfast alternative they used to make me cucumber and tomato sandwiches.

You might want to bring some favorite sauces or snacks (to share during the dive intervals, the dives guides love trying a tasty new treat). In town there are large modern supermarkets.

On you flights you can order vegetarian and possibly vegan meals. I recommend specifying Asia or Indian Vegetarian as they are tastier than just "vegetarian."

Even those who have no need for a special meal, if you order one anyway on a large plane like a 747 you will get served first.

The supermarkets in Manado are quite far from the dive sites so it's best to stock up before leaving town.

I stayed at inexpensive places in both Bunakan and Lembeh where local food was served. There was plenty to keep a vegan happy.

If staying outside resorts, maybe bring some extra from the market to supplement breakfast?

The diving in Lembeh is amazing and Bunakan is good!

Just tell the resort. I believe most if not all of them will be able accomodate vegan requirement.
I addition to vegetable and tropical fresh fruits; in Indonesia - tahu (tofu) and tempe are suitable for vegan; very inexpensive and can be found anywhere in Indonesia; rich of protein (made of soy beans) - delicious too and they can serve in various tasty menu (pls google with keywords - tempe tahu recipes). Tempe is also well known as "javanese meat". Ironically, someone in US has the patent for making tempe.

Thanks to all for the tips. I am really looking forward to diving this area and feel better that my dive buddy won't go too hungry. But, she is small, so she doesn't eat much anyway. Probably planning for a June trip just after her college graduation. Thanks again!

she''ll be able to get enough veggies, fruits, carbs, and protein anywhere (grains and beans have substantial protein!). Unless she is undereating calories, she should be more than fine. treenuts & groundnuts like peanuts, soy, and edamame provide significant protein. tell her to bring nuts, nut butters, and dried edamame. you might also suggest she bring dried soymilk and nutritional yeast to sprinkle on food to help fill in any gaps in protein and b12 which she may be missing if she is dieting or trying to minimize calories for whatever reason. :) [20 year veggie, 8 year vegan! alive and thriving!]

If u want a true vegan menu then it is a bit of headache for the resorts. The super markets are no way near as well stocked as those in Bali and they will have to set up a sterile area in their kitchen with dedicated utensils and new cutting boards. KBR used to offer a vegan menu for an extra charge but make sure u send them a detailed list of what u can and cannot eat. The new GM at KBR has a tonne of F & B experience so i think u should be OK if u give them a heads up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom