Shutter Release Spring :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my super duper Ikelite housing in the mail for my Canon A710 and, like a :dork2: , got super-excited and used the shutter release switch without a camera inside. Imagine my :depressed: when I saw that the spring inside detached from whereever or whatever it was attached to. :shocked2:

So, with my heart on my sleeve - can anyone please tell me what to do? I know it still works without it, but being a coldwater diver wearing some pretty substantial gloves, it is going to be really difficult to use autofocus when it is so sensitive (without the tension of the spring on the lever). Many thanks in advance!

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble. Has the entire spring detached from the shutter control shaft or is it simply not engaging with the shaft? Either way it should be a pretty easy fix:

If the spring is still on the shaft, just hook the curved end of the spring around the smaller diameter end of the shaft.

If the spring is completely detached you will probably have to remove the control shaft to put it back on. Remove the rubber sleeve from the shutter lever and use an allen wrench to loosen the set screw in the knob. Remove the knob and shaft. Slide the spring over the shaft so that the long leg rests against the inside front of the case when installed. Reassemble the shaft and knob assembly.

I've attached a picture that hopefully explains how the spring is supposed to look on the shutter shaft. You're welcome to call (317.923.4523) and someone should be able to talk you through it if necessary. Or if you'd like to send the housing in we'd be glad to take care of it for you.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems
Shutter-Spring.jpg

Jean - the spring is still on the shaft so I will give this a whirl tonight. Hopefully we'll have some success. Many thanks for the imagry! :)

Update: Wonderful news! We fixed it this evening just fine and have tested the set up with the camera inside and it works like a dream. Tomorrow we are off to Carmel, CA to do a test without the camera, and possibly the 2nd dive with it in! Sweet. Thank you again.

Thanks again. Here are some of the better shots. All unedited, shot in macro without any strobes - only the onboard flash.

IMG_8974.JPG

IMG_8993.JPG

IMG_89541.JPG

IMG_9002.JPG

IMG_9005.JPG

IMG_9009.JPG

Exercising Vermillion:
IMG_9015.JPG

IMG_8947.JPG

IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

Back