Shore vs Boat Diving in PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... there are plenty of good shore dives in the PNW... however some really great sites can only be accessed by boat... but not all charter boats go to those sites. :D Unfortunately Uncle Pug (the boat) won't be back in the water in time for your visit. ;-0

Joe,

A few of us Indy divers were just in Seattle/Tacoma area. Both boat and shore dives were fun! We went out to Zee's Reef and Sunrise Beach with Bandito Charters on Saturday - both were drift dives so bring good undergarments! We then did Titlow Park on Sunday - a very fun and easy shore dive site.

Viz and temps similar to good ole quarries, but the marine life was a blast!

Bandito Charters

Oh yeah - it was reaallly nice having a warm cabin with hot soup between dives!! Crew was very knowledgeable about dive sites and very helpful with gear, if needed.

FifthDimension
is who coordinated our diving. Several of us have taken DIR Fundamentals from their instructors - top notch folks!!

As UP mentioned there are plenty of good shore dives in Puget Sound. I prefer boat dives myself, Soundwave is another good boat charter, they know the area and provide excellent service. Prices are reasonable, and lots of room on the boat.

Do your best to get on a boat dive, but there are various shore diving points that may capture interests (i.e Edmunds Underwater Park). Went there last year, it was okay. Famed for occasional Pacific Giant Octopus sightings, but we didn't see anything of interest.

See Rodale's underwater USA and get some info.

http://scubadiving.com/US/

If you have extra time, head on up to Vancouver, fantastic sites up there.

I know it isn't exactly Puget Sound proper, but the San Juan Islands are absolutely great!
In this case, Boat diving is absolutely essential and the extra cost is well worth it.

Edmonds UW park is for tourists, here are some alternatives:
*Click here* for PNW shore diving options

As a local, I dive in the Puget Sound a couple times a week. I shore dive a lot but I prefer a boat dive. If you do dive from shore...

Alki...Cove 2. There was a great write up in Sport Diver this month about night diving there. It is a great, easy spot to dive and it is a great "warm up" site.

Edmonds Underwater Park...Okay, here is the skinny. It is a horrible surface swim and is very current sensitive. I have dove here many times but not anymore. There are a lot of great sites without having to swim so far.

3 Tree North.. This is a great site to see wolf eels and a lot of critters living inside of stuff. Common site for 6-Gills last summer.

Sunrise...Best site in the Puget Sound, IMO, to see Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf Eels. This is a shore dive but I prefer doing it from a boat.

There are a few great charter companies to hook up with. Both Soundwave Scuba ( www.soundwavescuba.com ) and Bandito Charters (www.banditocharters.com ) are great for taking you to the best places. They have warm soup and sandwiches on board, and they even take your fins off after your dive.

Have fun and PM if you would like more info.

Amy

There are some great shore dives, but some of the boat dives are really hard to beat!!!!:)

Kayla:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom