couple lucky divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Deerfield Beach

Two N.C. scuba divers injured by 40-foot boat

Two North Carolina women were injured when a man ran over them with
his boat while they were scuba diving less than a mile off Deerfield
Beach, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said.

William Kehoe, 77, of Boca Raton was operating his 40-foot Sea Fox
just before 4 p.m. Sunday when he saw a diver's flag in the water.
Kehoe swerved to avoid the area but struck Kelly Moran, 34, of
Carrboro, N.C., and Lisa Mace, 31, of Durham, N.C., the Sheriff's
Office said.

Moran and Mace were treated for cuts, bruises and scrapes at Boca
Raton Hospital and released later Sunday night.

Kehoe was cited for careless operation resulting in an accident with
injuries. The Sheriff's Office was investigating.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-c3bdig6may06.story

That story could have had a much different ending, I'm glad we got the "story book" ending!
Ber :bunny:

Maybe the storybook ending will extend to the boat operator and he'll get more that a slap on the wrist.

This brings up a good point I've been wondering about for a while now. Do many of the states address this issue when "requiring" boat operators to take training? I own a boat in S.C. but only know about dive flag cautions because I'm a diver. From what I remember, the only thing required in this state to operate a boat (and this is only required by the boat OWNER, not all the people who might be operating it) is to watch a video. And, again, just based on memory, I don't remember there being anything in the video about looking out for dive flags or what you should do when you see one. I'm not comfortable diving during busy boating seasons either close to shore or in local lakes because of this. Anyone from other states have input about their water safety training being more stringent?

medic13 once bubbled...
Deerfield Beach

Two N.C. scuba divers injured by 40-foot boat

Two North Carolina women were injured when a man ran over them with
his boat while they were scuba diving less than a mile off Deerfield
Beach, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said.

William Kehoe, 77, of Boca Raton was operating his 40-foot Sea Fox
just before 4 p.m. Sunday when he saw a diver's flag in the water.
Kehoe swerved to avoid the area but struck Kelly Moran, 34, of
Carrboro, N.C., and Lisa Mace, 31, of Durham, N.C., the Sheriff's
Office said.

Moran and Mace were treated for cuts, bruises and scrapes at Boca
Raton Hospital and released later Sunday night.

Kehoe was cited for careless operation resulting in an accident with
injuries. The Sheriff's Office was investigating.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-c3bdig6may06.story

Ugly. This is my biggest nightmare in diving. I'm pretty sure I can handle just about anything God throws at me under water but you can't control boaters. They got off lucky!

R..

fritzer once bubbled...
This brings up a good point I've been wondering about for a while now. Do many of the states address this issue when "requiring" boat operators to take training? I own a boat in S.C. but only know about dive flag cautions because I'm a diver. From what I remember, the only thing required in this state to operate a boat (and this is only required by the boat OWNER, not all the people who might be operating it) is to watch a video. And, again, just based on memory, I don't remember there being anything in the video about looking out for dive flags or what you should do when you see one. I'm not comfortable diving during busy boating seasons either close to shore or in local lakes because of this. Anyone from other states have input about their water safety training being more stringent?

In the part of Canada I come from they tell divers to set up their SMB's well away from where they'll be diving. That way all the boats will be around the flag and you can dive in relative safety. :)

(I know it sounds like a joke but it's a true story!) :wacko:

R..

yes its a very true story if you had fallowed the link you would of seen it was reported in local fla new paper !!!

medic13 once bubbled...
yes its a very true story if you had fallowed the link you would of seen it was reported in local fla new paper !!!

Hi Medic13, I think Diver0001 meant his story about setting up your SMB away from the area where you're diving, the boats will be around the flag and you can dive away from the flag where it's safer.

Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom