INSTRUCTOR? or TEACHER?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apertyx

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been sick the last couple of days, and here in Canada in the winter that means not much to do but shovel snow or surf the internet! So I've been doing a lot of reading on the boards, and a lot of researching of where to take my Instructor's course. I decided I was going to take my instructor's because I haven't as yet been hired on as a Divemaster. I really want to be a Divemaster: to teach others what I know and lead them to new and interesting places in their underwater lives. I know it doesn't pay a lot, but if it keeps me diving and keeps me fed and keeps a roof over my head, then I'm happy. I've always believed that doing what you love was far more important than having a lot of money. Many years in the radio industry taught me that. I've read so many posts of how Divemasters know nothing in reality: that it's only a "c" card without the experience to back it up. So I figured being an instructor would be better. 11 days, 40 dives, another round of exams, and I could instruct.

And that's when I realized that I don't want to instruct. I want to TEACH.

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines the words teacher and instructor as interchangable: as one who instructs, or teaches. But to me there is a big difference. Instruction is the HOW teaching is the WHY: and the WHY is much, much more important. I learned to dive the "new and improved" way. E-learning and two days of pool and open water instructed me on my OW. A large book with a bunch of knowledge reviews and a few dives instructed me on my AOW. Ditto the rescue diver and the Divemaster certifications, both obtained in the same month. And in 11 days, I can be instructed on how to be an instructor. But I'll never learn to be a TEACHER.

Please don't misunderstand my instructors were incredibly talented people who knew their stuff in the water. I'd dive with them any day! But it was the times OUT of the water where I learned the most important things from my teachers why they love what they do, why it's so important to do things in a structured way every time, and WHY accidents happen, and how to avoid them. Sharing a ride with a Divemaster to a dive site can teach you more than you could ever learn in a pool session. Chatting with a master instructor over a coffee about the "old" days of horse collar diving can teach you how much you rely on technology today, and how important the basics really are when the technology fails. They were good instructors, but they were GREAT teachers.

25 years behind a microphone in a radio booth and I learned many things from people I worked with. Tips and tricks and ways to survive that made me the success I was, because I was TAUGHT by those who know the WHY as well as the HOW. I have passed on my knowledge to some equally talented people who are now successes as well: for that, I consider myself a TEACHER in that industry. So it should be with my next career in diving. I can instruct anyone can. It's rote memorization of applied theory and standards, and its reiteration in a classroom or pool setting. But I want to TEACH.

During my post retirement travel (I left the industry, sold my house and decided to re-invent my life) I had the opportunity to go diving with a DM named Mick from Shellharbour Scuba in Australia. Sometimes in a group, sometimes just the two of us, we explored the world underwater together. Mick took my training to the limits, but never without TEACHING me before and after: mostly in the truck during the 5 minute ride to and from the dive site. I learned of his passion for diving, and my passion grew daily as well. Back in the shop, I watched him fill the tanks and change batteries and o-rings and we talked of regulators and cameras and bad viz and good divers. Underwater I trusted him with my life: following him wherever he went, looking where he pointed, and seeing what he saw. Above the water I learned WHY he pointed and looked and saw. He never instructed me on anything, but he taught me so much. If I could go back there today as a DM and dive with Mick I would already be on the plane.

I know this is a business, this diving. It's an industry, and as such, it needs to make money and everyone in it needs to make money. So they instruct, and so can I. After all, I'm 42 years old: it's not like I have 20 years to float around the world seeing the sights and diving before I decide. I've already done that the past year, and it sure does eat up those savings! 11 days, 40 dives, two days of exams and I too can be an instructor, working in this industry.

But I want to TEACH. I want to MENTOR. I want to learn, and pass on all that I've learned so that others may feel the same passion I felt the first time I went underwater as a certified diver. I've decided that I'm holding off on my Instructor's, so I can learn what I need to learn to TEACH others, hopefully with a roof over my head and a meal in my belly.

Now to find that elusive Divemaster job...

Attachments

• Mick the divemaster.jpg
    Mick the divemaster.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 50
i agree with much of what you posted. When I am out doing DM stuff with a class, or talking to people about diving in general I am prone to telling them why we do things a certain way as opposed to how to do it....well, in some cases both is necessary. The theory behind the practical application, especially in diving, is very important. If someone doesn't know why they should never hold their breathe on ascents, likely they will do it anyways...a crude example, but it gets the point across.

I do have one issue with your post.....you said

"I've read so many posts of how Divemasters know nothing in reality: that it's only a "c" card without the experience to back it up."

I don't get that feeling when I read posts, and I don't agree with that statement either. Sure there are people who rush through certs, get the DM and still can't remain neutrally bouyant in a horizontal position in the water, but those people shouldn't discredit a professional certification. A DM is a leader and a role model for divers they are around. I wouldn't feel adequate as a DM if I did not have the experience in many different diving environments to be able to help out divers in these areas.

but if it keeps me diving and keeps me fed and keeps a roof over my head, then I'm happy. I've always believed that doing what you love was far more important than having a lot of money. Many years in the radio industry taught me that.

Instruction is the HOW teaching is the WHY: and the WHY is much, much more important. ....And in 11 days, I can be instructed on how to be an instructor. But I'll never learn to be a TEACHER. .... took my training to the limits, but never without TEACHING me before and after.... I've decided that I'm holding off on my Instructor's, so I can learn what I need to learn to TEACH others, hopefully with a roof over my head and a meal in my belly.

-Any good IDC will teach you to teach. Many good and experienced divers show up with absolutely no concept of how to present and explain a topic.

-An instructor should also "teach the why", but this is good only if it is important and if the students are primed to accept the theory.

-Your examples and descriptions of TEACHING (vs Instruction) only reference before and after diving. You seem to draw a distinction between the dry-land verbal communication and the ability to communicate concepts underwater. That ability marks a better instructor.

-Radio does not pay well. In diving, you will likely enjoy your co-workers more, and sleeping in the compressor room is not much worse than sleeping at a radio station. Well, maybe it is, just a little bit. Any number of wealthy older females enjoy diving. Marry well, that's what I tried to do.

In depth and meaningful instruction necessitates the ability and opportunity to go past the group classroom situation. You must see how an individual student's learning style can be accessed by your words and actions. Precious little time to cater to the unique style of the one when you have a "normal" group of 8.

As far as mentoring, always select younger divers. They are likely much more impressed with your decaying gear and they are more physically able to carry your tank. As their heads are not yet full of all sorts of marketing and bad advice, they pay closer attention, so don't screw up.

Share your joy. :angel:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom