Ambon Trip Report Jan 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
"Ambon in the Spice Islands offers the best muck diving in Indonesia, surpassing Lembeh Straits". I heard those words from an American tourist at a restaurant in Lovina, North Bali few years ago when I was diving Puri Jati. Ever since, it has long been an ambition to dive the Spice Islands but the plan was deterred by the concerns of years of bitter religious turmoil and Malaria. As words of the newly discovered frogfish were out last year, I couldn't resist the lure of this new temptation and finally a week trip was planned for my first splash in 2009.

Ambon, island in eastern Indonesia, is home to the capital of Maluku province that consists of about 1,000 islands formerly known as the Moluccas, or Spice Islands. Ambon Island has an area of about 775 km² of generally mountainous, agricultural terrain that produces nutmeg, coffee, corn, cloves and cloves and cinnamon, among others. It was a center of the European spice trade dating back to the 1500's which saw this region being occupied by the Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish and English at various times. Ambon has populations, which are split fairly evenly between Muslims and Christians. Ambon became the scene of a conflict which went on from 1999 to 2002, a major clash between the two major religion group known as the Moluccan War. 9,000 people died in this war. Peace has now returned to the island but occasional unexpected small-scale conflicts still go on but they are not too much of a concern for travelers. The main city is also free from Malaria.

The journey to Ambon from Singapore was a long but uneventful one. Flight connections mean a stopover at Jakarta. Arriving at the International airport at 9pm, I was met by Zain from Discover Indonesia and ushered to the domestic airport. The Lion Air flight was delayed for about an hour and departed at 2am. After a 3.5 hours flight, I was met by Jimmy, the translator from Blue Rose Divers (BRD) who helped me to register my visit to the airport police and also collected my return tickets for confirmation. After collecting my baggage, Henrick, a partner at BRD picked me up and another one-hour car ride later; I finally arrived at the Santai Beach Resort, which overlooks a beautiful and sandy beach with crystal clear turquoise waters.

Santai Beach Resort has 11 beach bungalows and my bungalow was just next to the dive center. The air-conditioned room was basic but clean and roomy with 2 single beds, a mirror table, a cupboard with locks and a large bathroom with sitting toilet without flushing system and without hot water shower. Water supply got cut-off sporadically so I took my shower at the dive center twice during my stay. The electricity supply was erratic and it usually ran from 6pm to 6am. The dive center has it's own private generator so I charged my batteries at the dive shop during the day.

The resort does not have a restaurant so it was a bit of a bummer. For most of the days during my stay, I was the only guest staying there so the meals were provided by the dive center. They were generally simple but delicious home-cooked Ambonese food consisting of rice served together with fish, vegetables, chicken and sometimes noodles and soups for lunch and dinner. The samba chilies were absolutely yummy and I usually finished a whole plate of rice just mixing them in. I ate so much rice that I think I have gained a few pounds. Now I need to lose them but with the mouth-watering Chinese New Year goodies at home, how am I going to? Egg sandwiches and fried noodles/rice were served for breakfast.

On the evening of day 2, the dive center prepared a sumptuous Ikan bakar (grilled fish) farewell feast for the group from Jakarta. The crew at the dive center were always eager to please and obliging despite our language barrier. Most of them speak very little English and I have the slightest clue with Bahasa Indonesia. I remember one day I was casually mentioning something about having Mee Bakso (meat balls noodle soup) in Manado and the following evening, they brought me home-cooked Mee Bakso. How sweet! Amusingly, in the town where electricity was erratic and the locals using to drinking warm beers, buying ice-cold Bintang beers was more difficult than finding critters underwater. On days when there was no night dive, I would be riding pillion on the dive masters motorbikes in search of ice-cold Bintang beers.

I guess that not many people know that there are actually two dive centers in Ambon, the well-known Maluku Divers Dive Center and the relatively unknown Blue Rose Divers whom I chose to dive with. It was a local dive center setup just barely a year ago with Augustine managing the office in Surabaya and another 5 partners (Henrick-manager, Johnny boat captain, Wimpe compressor man, Robert and Frankie dive guides) running the dive center. Boat crew also includes two young boys, Ah Dok and Free John who helped with gearing up and handling out towels/refreshments before/after each dive. Toby, the most highly rated dive guide with more than 15 years experience diving in Ambon free-lanced for the shop and we dived together for the first two days.

The dive team is really cooperative and accommodating. Among them, only Robert and Toby speak good English. Despite that, I was always greeted with smiling faces and they try hard to fulfill any of my requests 4 dives a day and each dive no less than 75 minutes. Jokingly, they said that when I (the gila (crazy) Singaporean go home, the dive guide, Robert, whom I did most of the dives with, will mati (die).

Tanks were set-up with BCDs/regulators and taken care by the boat crew throughout my entire stay. BRD has two dive speed boats, both fiberglass made and each can accommodate 8-10 divers. Diving was done via back-roll entry. I did a total of 23 dives covering Kandang Babi, Maluku's House Reef, Pintu Kota, Laha 2, Rhino City, Lehari Cape, Lehari 2, Hikurila cave, Tanjung Hukurila, Tamjung Mahio. I also explored few new dive sites around the muck area and found an excellent site overflowing with abundance of nudibranchs, which I am going to name it after my dive guide, Robert. Water temperature was a constant at 29 deg C and visibility ranged from site to site, with the wall having better visibility ranging from 15-25 meters and the muck diving sites around 8-12 meters. The dive sites that I visited were about 20-30 minutes away from the dive center. The briefings were short and direct.

Last edited:
Although diving here is all year around but the best time for diving in Ambon is around September to December. During the months from May to August, diving is only possible on the Northern side of the islands and also the quite bay of Ambon. Ambon offers both impressive reef systems as well as world-class muck diving. The diversity to be found in this area make for an unbelievable dive adventure for even the most seasoned diver.

Some of the highlights …

Wall diving - Because the reefs aren't heavily dived; they are in superb condition. The highlight of diving in Southern side of Ambon is its underwater garden. Walls are lush with bright colors of both soft and hard coral colonies, large sea fans and barrel sponges. There were many different types of whip corals at most sites and making their homes were dozens of Xeno crabs, whip coral shrimps and gobies, sometimes few cohabiting together on the same whip and I counted one with at least 12 whip coral shrimps. Fish are plentiful, though the bigger pelagic are not so often found here. Blankets of red tooth trigger and schools of fusiliers and snappers scoured the reef with huge Napoleon wrasse, Bumphead parrotfish, and groupers regularly spotted.

The landscapes at Ambon’s Southerly coast with the full splendor of underwater colors provides excellent photographic opportunities for wide-angle photographers. Diving Pintu Kota reveals incredible underwater architecture, with a huge underwater archway mirroring the rock formation above water, and Hukurila Cave has twisting caverns and canyons swarming with life. We were the only divers there and each dive gave me that exhilarating feeling of discovering the unexplored.

Muck diving – Laha or formerly known as Twilight Zone, it’s past reputation is well deserved. It was the muckiest of muck dives but the debris is studded with living jewels. The diving is not dissimilar to Lembeh but far surpassing the former with the congregation of photogenic, unusual and even creepy macro critters in one relatively small location. It’s another of God’s dirty secret! Divers from all over the world will never hesitate to get down and dirty here in the legendary Ambon’s underwater junkyard.

On the left hand side at the old jetty, few fishing boats usually tie up side by side creating a canopy over the main area. With their engines still running, the fleet create the feeling of continuous twilight as sunlight penetrate through the openings. Rolling into the water near the brightly painted fishing boats, we descended a steep, dark gray rubble slope filled with car tyres, wood planks, metal tins and also fish carcasses discarded by the fishing boats. Beneath the jetty, a large shoal (bait ball) of silversides were seen swimming continuously in a dazzling flowing stream. Living among the thrash heaps, there are dozens of snowflake moray eels and every opening seems to be occupied by at least one, but often two or three will be co-habiting.

Dotting the seabed on the right hand side of the beach were fire urchins, which on closer inspection provided protection for zebra crabs, Coleman’s shrimps and a purple shrimp that I simply can’t name. As we combed the sandy bottom, we came crossed everything from the elusive wonderpus to seahorses to harlequin and bumble bee shrimps and numerous colorful nudibranchs. I dived this site repeatedly over the next few days and were amazed by the diversity of marine life.

Further right along the beach, about 50 meters from Laha 2, another site called the Rhino City promise to satisfy any macro photographer’s wish list. The site host an enormous variation of critters: a pair of the legendary Rhinopias (white and yellow) at 18-meter depth, stone fish, scorpion fish and lion fish, harlequin ghost pipefish, octopus, flounders, several different variations of frogfishes, numerous shrimps and crabs and many more.

Together with Robert, I also explored a few new sites along the beach and discovered an area filled with an abundance of brightly colored nudibranchs and egg mass around 20-meter depth. You can image how thrilled I was! I couldn’t stop clicking. I also found an Oatesii crabs on the "broccoli" coral and many commensal shrimps and crabs. Of course, I hit Deco and that was another 100 minutes dive. Up on the dive boat, Robert told me that that was his first time diving that site and said he is going to name it after me. Well! I decided to name it “Robert’s Nudi City”.

The nightly night dives were a whole additional story. As soon as the night falls, the sites transforms and the nocturnal predators emerge. Many bizarre looking decorator and spider crabs emerge from their daytime hiding crevices to roam the sea bed, worms and snails crawl across the sand leaving trails behind them and some animals like lion fishes and moray eels are much more active at night, swimming freely in search of prey. In a single dive, I saw more critters than could be written on an underwater slate. The marine life was just inconceivable and I don’t know of a better place for after dark encounters than this.

Ambon diving far exceeded any expectations I had. 7 nights was just not enough. Each dive I saw something new and exciting. Life is good diving in Indonesia! And of course I will keep going back!

Photo Link: Jovin's Cool Photos!! :: Ambon, East Indonesia Jan 2009

Useful Links:
Blue Rose Divers: Blue Rose Divers - HOME
Discover Indonesia: discover_indo@indosat.net.id

Last edited:
Great trip report & photos.!
Thanks for the useful info.
I have also been interested in Ambon & hope to visit this year.

I would really like to combine a land based dive trip Ambon & Banda .

Absolutely lovely and well written report and very nice photos. Imagine my surprise when I came to this forum to post a trip report about Ambon and its environs and find a report about Ambon at the top of the page! It truly is a small world.

I'm sending this link to the divers going back to the region in 2010 with us, some of them are planning add-ons before we get on the live-aboard, and I'm sure they will be interested in seeing your write-up of a resort we aren't familiar with.

Beware that this area may have a large amount of Malaria.

A few years ago I met an American NGO worker in Manado who was working in Ternate an island in the Maluku Islands (Moluccas) and near Ambon. He said that the prevalence of malaria was 30% on Ternate (that means that any given time 30% of the population has malaria).

Check with the dive operation about precautions to take and whether to take anti-malaria prophylaxis medicine

Last edited:
Absolutely lovely and well written report and very nice photos. Imagine my surprise when I came to this forum to post a trip report about Ambon and its environs and find a report about Ambon at the top of the page! It truly is a small world.

I'm sending this link to the divers going back to the region in 2010 with us, some of them are planning add-ons before we get on the live-aboard, and I'm sure they will be interested in seeing your write-up of a resort we aren't familiar with.

Thanks. Actually I just commented on your thread. Small world, indeed!!

I have to make some correction as the "resort" that I stayed at was a hotel actually, with 11 individual bungalows and no other amenities. The said that they are building a restaurant soon. It's just 5 minutes down the road from Maluku Divers.

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Attachments

• Hotel.jpg
    Hotel.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Hotel 1.jpg
    Hotel 1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 86
Beware that this area may have a large amount of Malaria.

A few years ago I met an American NGO worker in Manado who was working in Ternate an island in the Maluku Islands (Moluccas) and near Ambon. He said that the prevalence of malaria was 30% on Ternate (that means that any given time 30% of the population has malaria).

Check with the dive operation about precautions to take and whether to take anti-malaria prophylaxis medicine

Alan, I was told that there is no Malaria risk in the main island of Ambon. Malaria afffects only some surrounding islands like Seram & Halmahera (if I remember correctly).

Actually, I found the place that I stayed at to be almost free from mozzies and I did not take any anti-malaria medicine for my trip.

Alan, I was told that there is no Malaria risk in the main island of Ambon. Malaria afffects only some surrounding islands like Seram & Halmahera (if I remember correctly).

Actually, I found the place that I stayed at to be almost free from mozzies and I did not take any anti-malaria medicine for my trip.

Hello wahlaoeh, this was my experience also. The manager of Maluku Divers actually laughed when I asked if there was malaria on Ambon and thought I was joking. I don't recall seeing any flying insects or being bitten by anything during the 14 days I was there in 07'. Halmahera is far away, while Seram is much nearer, about 3 hrs by moderately fast boat. The SW most point is very rocky and appeared to be uninhabited. The drop of was so steep, we had to tie off the boat to a rock on shore.

Ambon has 1st rate diving of all types, I will return. And FWIW, we saw sharks on most of our dives. In fact, on one dive in the 3 islands (Pulau Tiga), my dive buddy was chased out of the water by 3 very aggressive black tips. I saw many black tips, a few grey reefs and even one juvenile silver tip, who treated me to a full on threat display. I saw lots of pelagics as well, including good sized dog tooth tuna and giant trevally. One of our group who was a liveaboard dive guide, saw a GT he said was the biggest he'd ever seen, nearly 2M tall. There was even a dead whale carcass in the harbor, not sure what species, but it was about 15M long.

Seram also had great diving, though the substantial fuel surcharge put us off going there more than once during the trip.

My only complaint about Ambon was the large quantities of plastic in the water, never seen anything like it, even in other parts of Indo. Still, the place was teeming with life of every size, I guess life just wants to keep on living no matter what. -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom