Self control.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm getting back into diving again after a long dry dock and during my refresher course last night I saw something to think about. There was a young lady doing her final OW class who was about 150-200 pounds overweight. Now I respect the she wasn't going to let her obesity stop her from doing the things she wants to do. And I don't know if her obesity is a medical issue or not, so my question is not about her, it's about this issue.
If a person does not have the self control to take care of themselves, do I really want to dive with them as a buddy? If they won't take care of their own body, why should I believe that they'll take care of their equiptment? Or keep in mental shape? If they're so out of control that they're 100 pounds overweight are they really safe for themselves and others to dive?
And that got me to thinking, what about other self control issues? Smoking? Drinking? And where do you draw the line? What exactly IS my responsibility in the area of self control issues in reguards to diving? Or are there none? Can a fat, smoking, hungover diver be a safe diver? I'm not judging anybody, but should we be looking at ourselves and taking a little self-inventory? Or is there no corellation?
I respect this overweight lady for persuing her dreams, but if I am totally honest, I would not like myself or my wife to buddy with her.
What do you think? I expect some defensive responses.

OK, here's todays edit: Please see http://www.scubaboard.com/t27189/s.html

Rick Inman once bubbled...
If a person does not have the self control to take care of themselves, do I really want to dive with them as a buddy?
Thats a question you have to answer for yourself - if you are not comfortable with someone as your buddy because of their health or lifestyle choices, don't dive with them.

I've edited part of your post.

I think that you may be talking about two separate issues. They have the right to do as they please, whether it is to be too fat, thin, hung over, etc. You, and everyone else, also have the right to choose whom they dive with. Since we do the activity for enjoyment we all have the right to dive with those that will enhance this enjoyment, and to not dive with those that we feel will diminish our enjoyment.

Hi Rick, welcome to the board. Here's my rant about self control issues and buddy responsibilities.
What exactly IS my responsibility in the area of self control issues in reguards to diving? Or are there none? Can a fat, smoking, hungover diver be a safe diver? I'm not judging anybody, but should we be looking at ourselves and taking a little self-inventory? Or is there no corellation?
I believe we should be looking at ourselves and taking a self inventory all the time. We should always be looking for ways to improve ourselves and our diving skills. I don't believe a "fat, smoking, hungover diver" will be safe by any means. Simple solution though, DON'T DIVE WITH THEM! I have always been an advocate for using a consistent team to dive with. I'll use my style as an example. I now have three buddies (used to be more) that match my training, skill and experience level. We look out for each other and each of us has the best interests of the team in mind, not just what we want seperately out of the dive. We dive together or we don't dive. We don't hop onto a "cattle boat" and buddy up with the some stranger that we know nothing about. Without firsthand knowledge of the person, their skills, their experience, and their equipment, how can this be considered safe? When we do hit the charters, we don't accept third buddies either. It may sound like an elitist attitude but it's the reason I can sit here and type this post right now. Again, it's the "you go, we go" attitude that keeps us safe on every dive. I think maybe you and your wife should consider full time buddy spots for each other. If that's not possible, then just remember, YOU have ultimate control over who you dive with, choose wisely. Hope that helps.:D

-Obesity is *not* always a matter of self-control. And it is not always a choice. To assume so is so incredibly offensive, I can't even get into it here.

-You don't have to dive with anyone you don't want to dive with.

Self control is definitely NOT the issue. The issue is whether or not a person is a good diver.

There are good and bad divers of EVERY shape, size, colour, ethnicity, sex.... etc. etc. etc. To insinuate that someone is NOT a "good diver" simply because of how they look is prejudicial.

For examply, if I were to "judge" someone as a diver by how they post, I might be excluding YOU as a possible dive buddy. :wink:

~SubMariner~

So what is the your standard for being too fat? ( I think troll could be used for this conversation before long....)

I am a little overweight but does that make me an unsafe dive?
Obesity has been defined as 20% above your recommended weight for height... lets see for a 6ft. person that is only 36lbs over 180 (180 is the max. recomended weight for a 6ft person)

Not everyone is made skinny. I am getting a bit insulted by this turn of topics.

I am just under 6ft and weigh 235#... I guess I would be banned from diving with some people? I have no problem finding wetsuits in my size, I don't need to special or custom order them... I wear a large B.C.
But I am obese! My adult live I have NEVER been under 200 lbs I am wide of shoulder and the large frame I have I don't think will ever be below 200. I have always been this way.

I wonder how my weight problem will be dangerous. I can lift haul and tote as much or more than most....
____
And the SMOKING has already been discussed... in another topic... I am an EX Smoker myself. You realize that quiting smoking is a harder habit to kick than heroin.
________

My rant is over

You people rock. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom