SQ Black Diamond Vs Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WonderSlug

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy all

I am currently trying to decide on a back float BC and think I have narrowed my choices down to a Zeagle Ranger or a SQ Black Diamond.

I have read some of the previous posts on this subject, but i would like to get some current opinions.

I am still pretty new (20 dives) but have been doing a lot of research. I know I want to switch to back float, and I want one that is going to last me for a good couple of years before the "cool" factor kicks on or wears off... how ever you want to put it. I am also looking to go to some more advanced diving but don't know yet how deeply technical I want to go, thinking of things like AOW, wreak, nitrox, and maybe even rescue. So i want something that will serve me well for all of that as well.

Ive dove the SQ Raider which seems to me pretty close to the Ranger in design and way it would handle (please tell me if i am wrong). I am probably going to dive the Black diamond this weekend, but cant seem to find a way locally to dive a Ranger yet.

I know this may be an old subject but any fresh options would help.

Thanks
-=WonderSlug

I used to own the black diamond and it is not a bad bc but I would not recomend it if you want to do any technical stuff. I have never dove the ranger, however I have met many a people who own them and they dont have any negative comments. The zeagles appear to be better constructed. I had my eye on the tech for a while but opted for the bp/wings instead. either way you go you will be happy they are both good bc's. good luck and enjoy your nerw purchase.

I have a ranger and I also have a dive rite BP and 59# wing, which is to large for use for a single tank dive. IMO, if you see yourself eventualy moving into tech diving, don't buy anything other than a BP c/w a wing that will allow you to dive a single tank as well as a set of 95's. If you need a larger wing, upgrade then, it will still be cheaper.

WonderSlug once bubbled...
I am still pretty new (20 dives) but have been doing a lot of research. I know I want to switch to back float, and I want one that is going to last me for a good couple of years before the "cool" factor kicks on or wears off... how ever you want to put it. I am also looking to go to some more advanced diving but don't know yet how deeply technical I want to go, thinking of things like AOW, wreak, nitrox, and maybe even rescue. So i want something that will serve me well for all of that as well.

Based on what you are looking for, you should consider a backplate and wing setup. They last forever, are extremely versitile and the "cool" factor never wears off. It will do every thing you want to do and then some for less money.

Halcyon makes a really nice backplate and wing setup. FredT here on ScubaBoard makes an outstanding backplate.

Do some research on the backplate and wing here on ScubaBoard before you make a final decision.

The quality and craftsmanship of the Ranger is very good, as is Zeagle's customer service. Same goes for DiveRite and their Transpack II. The latter is even more modular, but both will allow you to change bladders and add options as needed.

If you plan on diving twin tanks a backplate is probably what you want. I know several people who combined the two as they dive mostly within recreational limits, but on occasion do either deep wreck or caves. In those cases they slide a backplate into their BCs and use twins and stages.
Those guys use either Transpack IIs or OMS IQs. Seems to work quite well, they like the idea that they have the comfort (and familiarity) of their normal BCs with the added stability of a backplate.
Or just go with a backplate and wing, pick the bladder size as needed.

By the way, you might want to consider taking AOW and Rescue before anything else. It will help you and anybody around you. :)

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
By the way, you might want to consider taking AOW and Rescue before anything else. It will help you and anybody around you. :)

Yeah I am planning on doing AOW in mid July or early August. Right after I do my first real dive vacation. Ill have enough dives to meet the requirement. I did my OW under SSI but have been thinking of doing my AOW under NAUI cause the emphasize the safety/rescue aspects more. At least thats what a buddy of mine who is an instructor for both tells me.

I know everyone is saying go with a BP and wing but I am trying to go weight integrated as well (i for got to mention that before). So I am don't think I am quite ready for a real tech rig yet.

Thanks
-=WonderSlug

WonderSlug once bubbled...

I know everyone is saying go with a BP and wing but I am trying to go weight integrated as well (i for got to mention that before). So I am don't think I am quite ready for a real tech rig yet.

Thanks
-=WonderSlug

Not trying to steer you away from the Zeagle/SQ route, but I don't want you to make a decision based on bad information. You CAN integrate weights with BP/Wings in a few different ways. Here are two common ones:
http://www.diverite.com/products/bcd/weight.htm
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/acb.shtml

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up buying. Good luck.

My buddy and i have the Black Diamond B.C. My buddies plastic tank craddle is ripping off the back of the BC. I believe its from double 80 AL tanks. This BC is not for Doubles!

The BP wing set up is the only way to go if you are considering putting out that much money.

You can make the BP and wing to fit you-not you fit it.

It is like it is made just for you....like a custom cut dry suit.

Fred T. makes plates out of everything. You can have one cut just for you. I have a very short torso and the custom cut BP is great-all the other BCs were too long on my body.

I now have a Ranger, I once had a Black Diamond. I liked both, the major reason I switch to Ranger was it's simplicity with the ripcord. I use to jump out of airplanes and just felt that in a real emergancy one pull beats two pulls. Plus the Ranger seems a little lighter weight. You really can't go wrong with either setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom