2 weeks in the Philippines...questions/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning on 2 weeks diving in the Philippines.
Photographers... HATE guides that want to lead you on a high-speed swimming event. On our own, or with a boat-load of other photogs, we often never get out from under the boat.

Here are the questions for the PPD.

1) We cannot get there due to work schedules until last week of June. Are we going to get into the rainy season and screw the vis?

2) Currently planning on Boracay/Panay as we have friends there. They also suggest Bohol. Is there another ... "don't leave without seeing this" spot? Anilao?

3) Best house reefs/resorts in the area for photographers?

4) Are we missing something important?

Thanks,
Brad

Sorry I don't know the weather in June, my wife and I have been there in Jan/Feb. 2002; Nov. 2005 and Feb. 2008. the weather was great! I don't know your experience level. Anilao is a top dive destination not just because it's 2 hours soth of Manila, but because of the great photo ops. Puerto Galera is also a great place to dive, ( two hour drive to the Batangas pier then 45 min boat ride to Sabang).
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...269118-looking-diving-resort-near-manila.html
Follow the link for more info. Read the Warning!
Last year we were in Bohol, and dove Panglao Is. also Great diving!
On Boracay, make sure you do anight dive on Crocadile Is. That sould take care of your Photo gallery. :D:D

<I am going to get blasted for this one>

If you are going to Boracay and want to dive on your own schedule.....I recommend the team of Panay Explorers/Phaidon Resort.....but that is just me. All joking aside, that is our niche, we are a "go as you please" kind of place. Depending on your experience level, Russ, Rachel, or myself can take you where you can fill the memory card in your camera with memories of a lifetime.

Warning.jpg

1. Yes it will be the rainy season but the viz will be fine.

2. depends what you want to see. Bohol has nice fish schools for your wide angle.

3. best house reefs...there are lots. For macro I can vouch for Dumaguete, Cabilao, and Anilao.

4. two weeks...I'd probably try hit up two places. Boracay/Panay is on one side of the Visayas, so for convenience you'll have to backtrack to Manila and catch another flight to another destination. If your trip is not only about diving, I'd probably trek over to Dumaguete via land and ferry from Kalibo -> Bacolod.

hope that helps.

Hi,

Don't take photos myself, but went on dive in Anilao, once called Basura (litterally means rubbish) that was a photographers dream. 10 meters max, no currents with some of the strangest and amazing creatures i have ever seen in my life. Shallow so good light.

Despite the initial doubts i had i was blown away by the amazing life, and even wanted a camera myself.

I'm sure some of the other guys can advise who can take you there. I guess anyone in Anilao.

Also in my experience the dive folks of PI will listen to exactly what you want to do and give it to you. So don't worry about being led on 25+ people snakes in a race to get to the end of the site. Just ask and you shall receive.

Happy snapping.

Mat.

We are planning on 2 weeks diving in the Philippines.
Photographers... HATE guides that want to lead you on a high-speed swimming event. On our own, or with a boat-load of other photogs, we often never get out from under the boat.

Here are the questions for the PPD.

1) We cannot get there due to work schedules until last week of June. Are we going to get into the rainy season and screw the vis? June should be early enough before the usual typhoon season picks up. Generally you should be OK but of course nothing is guaranteed weather wise... I've been out there in late Aug/ Sept with just a little rain here and there.

2) Currently planning on Boracay/Panay as we have friends there. They also suggest Bohol. Is there another ... "don't leave without seeing this" spot? Anilao? If you're connecting through Manila for your int'l flights, I'd say a big yes for Anilao, especially considering you folks are photo bugs! Maybe easier in terms of transportation. Resorts can arrange for private pick up from Manila airport so you could do a few days before or after your Boracay trip. Recommend giving yourself at least 3 days in Anilao... Maybe an entire week if you're macro nuts! There is a wide range of resorts for all budgets. Now if your int'l flights are through Cebu, there are some great sites for photogs around there as well. Cabilao, Bohol (Alona/ Balicasag), Malapascua, and Dumaguete/Apo Island.

3) Best house reefs/resorts in the area for photographers? Given how close all the sites are in Anilao, I consider them all one big house reef! :D Other personal favorites of mine - Cabilao (in front of La Estrella resort - Gorgonian Wall).

4) Are we missing something important? Check with the airlines about luggage restrictions. They have been cutting down on allowances for domestic legs. If you're flying PAL and you plan to have a number of domestic legs, look into their Sports Package membership which gives you an extra allowance for a modest annual fee. edit: actually I don't think the domestic excess luggage rates are too bad so for a single trip through the Philippines, that Sports Package might not be worth it.

As a fellow u/w photog, I totally agree with you about feeling rushed or being thrown in a large group. To be honest, I haven't really had that problem. Most of the better resorts will recognize your needs as a photographer and will avoid tossing you on the boat with 12 fresh OW students... In fact, let the the shop/ DM know in advance (in a nice manner...). And if you have a wish list of critters you want to focus on, let them know. Some of these DM's are just amazing in their spotting ability and knowledge.

And of course, just enjoy yourself. You're in the Philippines. Take it down a notch, turn off the blackberry/ cell phone, dig your toes in the sand, grab a ice cold San Miguel, and just enjoy... Great people, great food, great BEER, postcard perfect scenary and of course great diving...

Thanks,
Brad

my comments above in blue...

Back
Top Bottom