Wings and integrated weight BC's - Are they dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I tried a wing style BC about 15 years ago as it was supposed to be superior due to being able to control your boyancy better. I decided to stick with the normal BC as I didnt have a big problem with the standard and didnt want to end up face down in the water unconcious in an emergency.

When I bought my latest BC about 5 years ago there was a discussion with my dive shop re integrated weights. The guy in the dive shop thought integrated weights were more comfortable but what would you do if you had to take your gear off underwater. So I kept a seperate weight belt and glad I did.

Am I getting too careful in my old age or do other divers consider these things dangerous?

What do you consider the most dangerous piece of equipment in use today?

If I were to have all the weights in my BC's integrated weight pouches and I had to take my gears off in the water, I'd simply hold onto my BC. Why would I want to take my gears off in the water and just let it float away? Assuming that I'm doing technical stuff, all of my airs and gases are tied to my BC, what am I going to do if I were to ditch my gear?

Some people like to keep all their weights on their bodies and some people like to keep all their weights on their BCs. Both contingents have many dives under their belts, so who's right and who's wrong? Do what works for you.

fnfalman has some good advice.

It all comes down to training.
Train with and for the equipment that you will be diving with, and when you are familiar with your equipment you will be far better set to respond to any situations that may arise.

Last edited:
I don't consider a WI BC dangerous at all. I had a great BC but when Scubapro came out with their WI Classic I jumped on it and I'm glad I did. I'd never go back to wearing a weight belt.

Train with and for the equipment that you will be diving with, and when you are familiar with your equipment, you will be better set to respond to any situations that may arise.

Totally agree. The way that I was trained was "the third rule" 1/3 WI in the BC, 1/3 on a weight belt and the last 1/3 non dump able in the BC. If you have all your weight on a belt or in your BC (dumpable) what happens when you have to God forbid ditch your weight in an emergency.......If you carry say 30lbs and you dump it all you are going to breach the surface when you get there like a dolphin jumping out of the water. If you are following the 1/3 rule you can dump either your belt or one of the two weight pockets on your BC or both as needed to maintain a more controlled and safe accent.

Just my $.02

Neither is dangerous if you are practiced in their use and know the equipments limitations. Mt first BCD was a Sherwood Tortuga hybrid back inflator with integrated weight pouches.
When I had to take it off at depth I had to remember not to let go this isn't a hazard just a operational limit. But truely it isn't even that. Just because your BCD has weight pocket doesn't mean you have to put all or any weight in them you could still wear a belt of harness with some or all your ballast weight.
I now prefer a Backplate and wing and split my weights between a belt the backplate and 2 pouches on the lower tank band. Depending on my wetsuit and tank I may not need the pouches or the belt.
As for the face plant of a wing it is due to people getting used to lifting themselves too far out of the water with jacket BCD that they are getting that bad rap. if you only put in enough air to lift your head out there is no face plant. If you want to go up higher lay all the way back and swim on your back.

Neither is dangerous if you are practiced in their use and know the equipments limitations. Mt first BCD was a Sherwood Tortuga hybrid back inflator with integrated weight pouches.
When I had to take it off at depth I had to remember not to let go this isn't a hazard just a operational limit. But truely it isn't even that. Just because your BCD has weight pocket doesn't mean you have to put all or any weight in them you could still wear a belt of harness with some or all your ballast weight.
I now prefer a Backplate and wing and split my weights between a belt the backplate and 2 pouches on the lower tank band. Depending on my wetsuit and tank I may not need the pouches or the belt.
As for the face plant of a wing it is due to people getting used to lifting themselves too far out of the water with jacket BCD that they are getting that bad rap. if you only put in enough air to lift your head out there is no face plant. If you want to go up higher lay all the way back and swim on your back.

I like the idea of spreading the weight around and will look at that as a sensible option.

The idea of not putting too much air in the wings doesn't hold for me, assuming that you are sent to the surface unconcious will the rescuer remember to only put a small amount of air in your wings or will someone turn you over when you get to the surface?

I assume that all OW trainees are taught to take off their gear and put it back on again underwater (as I was) and I can see some trainees hanging upside down holding their BC.

I have both a wing and intregated weights, and I solo dive and I do not consider my BCD dangerous at all. I wear three weights, two in the top of my BCD and one on a waist belt, but only for solo diving and only incase of emergency and the need to remove gear, it is just a precaution. Like lots of said here so far, you just have to really get used to your gear and practise as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom