PADI AOW, but SSI EAN qual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
HI all,

I am PADI AOW qualified, and fair to say, a fair weather diver - meaning I really only dive on vacations. My focus now is enjoying diving, and where I can, gaining more experience ands skills.

I'm going to the Maldives this year, and I woudl like to use the time to get more experience and skills etc, but the school mostly operate under SSI and cant guarantee a PADI teacher.

So apart from maybe some adventure dives, I'd like to do a nitrox course.

Am I correct in thinking that the nitrox is really "stand alone" and the SSI C card will be enough internationally, or do I need to follow on with PADI?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Why waste your expensive vacation time dealing with something as trivial as Nitrox?

The PADI program: watch a DVD (pretty good, in retrospect), read the book, fill out the Knowledge Reviews, report to a class for about 4 hours (usually in the evening), take a test and analyze a couple of tanks. There are no dives required for the PADI Nitrox course.

Richard

Staying eith the same agency only becomes an issue at the DM or instructor level. At your level it doesn't matter.

Most of all my certs are through PADI, however my Nitrox is through TDI. Non Issue.

Wont be an issue doing it through SSI and like PADI if you do all home study watch DVD and do exam no dives are required. And even if you do go pro long as you can show equivelent cert still wont be an issue
Enjoy

Staying eith the same agency only becomes an issue at the DM or instructor level. At your level it doesn't matter.

Being that Nitrox certification is not a requirement for Dive Master or Instructor, it really doesn't matter anyways. Also, as Frozenwarp stated, the agencies will recognize each other's certifications.

Both PADI and SSI are internationally recognized. So, either one you go with shouldn't be an issue.

It won't matter. I have SSI OW but TDI Nitrox. I have a friend who has PADI OW with SSI Nitrox as well and another with SSI OW and PADI Nitrox :)

As far as Nitrox goes, even at Instructor/DM level it's not an issue. I did the PADI Nitrox instructor course with an SSI Nitrox card

Guys, so sorry for taking so long to come back and thank you all for your replies!

Thanks!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom